Senior duo on same page leading Bobcats

For seniors Tyler Brett and John Delaney, winning has framed a mindset that has paved the way for a successful baseball career and friendship.

As they begin their senior campaign for the Bobcats. Brett, a right-handed starting pitcher, and Delaney, the starting shortstop, not only have played together for four years, but they have also lived together for four years, something that has contributed to their on and off the field chemistry.

“On the field, when Tyler is on the mound, I’m able to tell what’s going on much easier. If we want to put a play on, it’s almost like our minds are thinking alike, because of the fact that we communicate so well,” said Delaney, a marketing major.

Brett, also a marketing major, agrees.

“When John and I are on the field at the same time, we know each others limits and that really helps with our communication because we learn to think alike” Brett said.

Off the field, the friendship between the two has really grown over the last four years, mainly because of the amount time they would spend together during the day. Between being roommates and being teammates, Delaney and Brett see a lot of each other, which in their opinion has led to countless good times, but has also built the chemistry that they currently have today.

This cohesiveness has led to great success for them on the field as well.

Last year, as juniors, Brett finished with a record of 4-3, while recording three saves and 24 strikeouts in 39 innings pitched. He walked only five batters all year, demonstrating his tremendous control.

Delaney, who was the team’s third baseman, batted .301 with two home runs, 15 RBI’s, and 31 runs scored. He also recorded 15 doubles, good for a tie for second with former All-American center fielder Tim Binkoski, who broke the Quinnipiac record last year for the most all-time doubles.

This year, Brett and Delaney have taken on the role of senior leaders, something that really stands out on such a young team.

“It’s difficult at times being a senior leader, but at the same time, I know my approach to it, is lead by example,” Brett said. “I’m not really one to call people out, that’s not my style, but if I have to, I will.”

Delaney, who remembers the days when he was learning on the field as a freshman, agrees.

“It’s tough being a senior on the field with a majority of kids who are sophomores and freshmen,” Delaney said. “Like Tyler, I’m not one to call someone out, but I do voice myself with some of the younger kids when they make a mistake to help them really learn what college baseball is all about.”

Heading into a season, players usually tend to have both personal and team expectations. This year, however, as seniors, Brett and Delaney are only focused on team expectations.

“Team expectations are the biggest thing to us. When we got here, as freshmen, we were expected to win the NEC regular season and the NEC tournament,” Brett said, “We won the regular season our freshman year, and since then, our expectations have never changed.”

Delaney expects much of the same for the squad in his senior year.

“I’m the same with Tyler. You know, we expect, our coaches and us seniors, to make it to the NCAA tournament. With the talent that we’re able to bring in, yea, we’re a young team, but nobody probably looks at us as an NCAA tournament team. We see ourselves making the tournament though because we know how well we can play as a team,” Delaney said.

The Bobcats dropped both double-headers to Central Connecticut State this weekend, starting off NEC play 0-4 and losing their sixth straight overall

Brett and Delaney will look to help the Bobcats get back on track when they open up a six-game home stretch over a six day span, including the NEC home opener against conference foe Fairleigh Dickinson.