Second half collapse costs ‘Cats

The Quinnipiac Bobcats wasted no time getting on the board, but No. 14 Boston College waited until the second half for its scoring barrage.

Goalie Nicole Lewis allowed five goals in the second half, including three in a three-minute span, as the Bobcats lost a non-conference field hockey game Friday to the Eagles, 6-1, at Newton Sport Complex.

Courtney Tavener scored two goals immediately after Catherine O’Brien scored her first goal of the season in the 40th minute. Maike de Jager scored twice late while Carla Tamer also scored for the Eagles (3-1).

Kaitlyn Notarianni gave the Bobcats (1-1) a quick 1-0 lead in the fifth minute on a backhand shot from stroke, but the rest of their offense was held in check.

Just a game after scoring six goals, the Bobcats were held to just three shots on goal. Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week and Co-Player of the Week Danielle Allan did not register a shot attempt in the game.

Lewis stopped a season-high six shots for the Bobcats, but fell down to lead to O’Brien’s goal. Quinnipiac fell to 0-8 all-time against the Eagles and has been outscored 24-1 in Chestnut Hill. Boston College has outscored the Bobcats 16-1 in the last three meetings.

Tavener scored 69 seconds later off a long hit from Tamer, and again in the 42nd minute from the post.

Quinnipiac returns home Sunday to host Yale at 2 p.m.