QU School of Business interim dean appointed

Professor Matthew O’Connor has recently been named the Interim Dean for the School of Business. He will be replacing Dean Mark Thompson, who has accepted a position as the Vice President for Student and Academic Affairs here at Quinnipiac.

O’Connor will begin his new position over the summer and will serve as interim dean for the 2008-2009 academic year.

Professor O’Connor, who has taught at Quinnipiac for nine years, is a finance professor in the School of Business and is currently the chairman of the Department of Finance. He brings a wealth of knowledge about finance with him through experiences both in the job place and in the class room.

Professor O’Connor originally started out developing financial software for MassMutual after college. After a few years he got his MBA and went back to work in the corporate world. Again after a few years in the business world he decided he once again wanted to learn more about financing. He decided to pursue a PhD in financing at Syracuse University and after graduating, took a position as a professor at the University of New Haven. Professor O’Connor came here after two years of teaching at New Haven.

Even though he will only hold the interim dean position for one academic year, O’Connor still has plans for the School of Business. He has stated that there are two important areas that he will focus on as the interim dean, one of which has to do with the School of Business’ accreditation.

“We are taking a major step in terms of the AACSB [Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business],” said O’Connor. “It is a ‘self study’ in preparation for the AACSB re-accreditation visit in 2009-2010.”

O’Connor also stated that another area of interest during his tenure as the interim dean will be to enhance the MBA programs offered by the School of Business.

“These are two big things for us to focus on as an entire school,” O’Connor said. “I’m looking forward to working with the faculty on this.”

When asked about some of his duties as the interim dean he went on to explain some of the various things he will focus on and the people he will work with.

“It involves working with the faculty and staff,” said O’Connor. “.to enhance student learning, to enhance faculty scholarships, to work with alumni and administration, and to work with external partners to place students in internships.”

Students and staff seem excited about his new appointment

“Professor O’Connor is a great professor, advisor, and will make a great interim dean,” senior Kevin Toth said. “Overall, I believe he definitely has the foresight to lead the School of Business.”

O’Connor is also excited about his new position and feels that many others within the School of Business are too.

“I think everyone at the School of Business is all excited about the chance to continue to enhance the reputation of the school,” said O’Connor. “That reputation is within the world of academia, employers, overall improving the academic standing of the overall university.”

O’Connor brings with him a strong reputation as a professor, as marked by his 2005 Excellence in Teaching Award that he received from Quinnipiac. O’Connor also brings leadership experience from his time as director of Alternative Investments Institute at the School of Business. He has also continued to stay active in the financial fields by writing for various financial education journals and attending various conferences.

While O’Connor realizes his term will only last one year, he is definitely ready to get down to business.