Lax storms past St. John’s

A last second goal by Garret Kerr, his third of the game, propelled the men’s lacrosse team to a thrilling 11-10 victory over St. John’s Monday afternoon at the Quinnipiac Lacrosse Field.

In a see-saw game that had seven ties and seven lead changes, goals by Anthony Poerio and Kerr in the minute of regulation gave the Bobcats the victory.

“I was really proud of our guys. We showed a lot of character,” head coach Eric Fekete said.

The Bobcats jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on Ted Dimond’s first goal of the game. Peorio fed Dimond from behind the net and the sophomore attacker beat Red Storm goalie Gavin Buckley.

A goal just over two minutes later by Trevor Michaelsen, his first of four on the afternoon, tied the game at one apiece.

Justin O’Donnell’s first of two goals on the afternoon gave the Red Storm the lead, but Kerr picked up a ground ball in front of the St John’s net with the Bobcats a man up and beat Buckley with 4:53 left in the first to tie the game again.

The Bobcats regained the lead on a goal by Bill Hayes, but Michaelsen’s second of the period quickly tied up the score at 3-3.

Two straight goals by Zach Dendas and Kerr at the end of the first and beginning of the gave the Bobcats the first two goal lead of the game.

After nearly eight minutes of scoreless play, goals by O’Donnell and Graeme Gillespie for St John’s sent the game into halftime tied 5-5.

St. John’s scored their only goal of the third quarter 1:46 in. Michaelsen tallied his third of the game to give the Red Storm their first lead since 2-1.

The Bobcats took an 8-6 lead into the fourth quarter on goals by Todd Kaiser, Dimond and Poerio.

A goal by Kevin Kelly gave the Bobcats a three-goal lead, but they were unable to hold St John’s at bay.

After holding the Red Storm scoreless for over 18 minutes spanning the third and fourth quarter, St. John’s reeled off four straight goals over a 9:19 span to take a 10-9 lead.

“We always talk about valuing the ball at the end of the game, especially in the fourth quarter,” Fekete said. “With a young team you are going to make mistakes. But we made some good plays to win it in the end.”

Poerio, one of just five seniors on the young Bobcat squad, tied the game on an unassisted goal with 56.2 seconds remaining in regulation.

Thirty seconds later, Kaiser had a chance to give the Bobcats the lead but was stoned on the doorstep by Buckley.

After St. John’s took possession into the Bobcat defensive zone, the home team was able to regain possession with ten seconds left.

A series of passes upfield ended with Kaiser finding Kerr, who ripped a shot that went between the St. John’s pipes with no time remaining, giving the Bobcats a dramatic 11-10 win.

“He’s (Kerr) a goal scorer and he comes through when you really need him. It was a good win for us,” Fekete said.

The Bobcats will travel to Riverdale, N.Y. on March 1 to take on Manhattan before returning home on Saturday March 8 to battle Providence.