RAVE and WRECK of the week: April 20, 2011

RAVE of the week: Don’t Throw the Tomatoes

Bouts of laughter pervaded Buckman Theater April 16-17 as nine talented students performed Quinnipiac’s original sketch comedy show, “Don’t Throw the Tomatoes: The 8-Fold Path of Bootyism.”

Produced and directed by senior Patrick Reynolds, the eighth annual “Don’t Throw the Tomatoes” featured renditions of “Saturday Night Live” sketches and original performances.

“Really though, the show directs itself in a way, everyone feels comfortable telling each other else ‘Oh dude, say your line this way,’ or ‘Let’s add this line so the crowd laughs more,’” Reynolds said.

The show included 18 sketches portraying everything from Snapple employees desperately trying to write the next best “Snapple fact,” to two kids teaching their unsuspecting father to play the Wii. Imagine the Wii as a shake weight, and you can picture the dirty hilarity of the performance.

The show’s highlight was a sketch titled “Gap Girls,” a mixture between a drag show and “The Girls Room,” a sketch from Amanda Bynes’s 1999 Nickelodeon show. Male cast members sported bright colored wigs and women’s clothing.

All proceeds went toward Quinnipiac’s annual alternative spring break trips to Nicaragua.

“Don’t Throw the Tomatoes” was well-rehearsed, hilariously funny, and well-fitting for a college-aged crowd.

WRECK of the week: Aussies not down with Brown

As if singer Chris Brown didn’t anger enough people in America, now Australians have had enough of him.

For an upcoming show in Perth on May 3 as part of Brown’s F.A.M.E. tour, sales have been so slow that promoters are practically giving tickets away. A three-for-one deal is being implemented to try to get the tickets moving for his planned performances at the Burswood Dome and several other venues.

Evidently, his reps refuse to move the show to a smaller venue. Seriously? Between Rihanna’s domestic violence charges and his meltdown on “Good Morning America,” it’s obvious that someone should have anticipated negative reactions to the artist—even across the world.

YouTube

He’s touring with Jessica Mauboy, Australia’s R&B queen, and even that isn’t helping move ticket sales along. An alternate venue sounds like a good choice right about now.

There is no doubt that Chris Brown is a great performer, dancer and singer. His song “YEAH 3X” gets tons of radio play and even peaked at the No. 15 spot on the Billboard 100 chart. Its success made it seem like Brown was on the right path to getting his career back and making everyone forget his tarnished reputation.

However, it’s clear people haven’t forgotten. Guess Brown will end up performing for not so many thousands of fans as planned.

Who’s getting slapped in the face now?