Student target of QU probe for dorm thefts

A resident of Irma is under investigation for the thefts that have occurred in the dorm over the course of the year, students living in Irma said. The individual admitted to stealing textbooks and cash from his neighbors in the dormitory.

According to Irma resident Tyler Roden, the alleged perpetrator stole textbooks from his roommates and sold them to the campus bookstore. Roden said that upon being confronted, the student went to the bookstore to retrieve the books. At the bookstore, he was approached by university security.

Eric Ly was one of two Irma residents who the student compensated for more than $100 in stolen cash.

“He came up to me, and manned up to it,” Ly said. “It feels pretty good because there were suspicions before.”

Aris Mantopoulos was also compensated. The night his empty wallet was found on the stairwell, Mantopoulos was hanging out with a group of eight friends in his room.

According to Mantopoulos, the student was also there, although he left after some time-saying he needed to get cigarette money from his room. Mantopoulos said that he became suspicious because he was the only one of the group to exit the room and he did not know him well at the time.

The student’s neighbors believe that he will be moved from the residence hall.

“I guess this hallway is safe but another hallway has a problem,” Kyle Garrity said.

Quinnipiac’s John Morgan, associate vice president for public relations, said in an e-mail: “We can’t confirm anything other than the matter is under investigation by the Hamden Police Department and Quinnipiac Security. Any additional comment at this time would be inappropriate.”

Residents who knew the student well have expressed disappointment, despite asserting that the revelations were not entirely shocking.

“[The student] was in my room all the time,” Kyle Winschuh said. “It was mostly upsetting, because he was a nice kid, but he just made bad choices. I wasn’t really surprised. I mean all signs pointed to him. I guess it was just confirming what I didn’t want to hear. I didn’t want to believe it.”