Style File: Some rules were made to be broken

The fashion world has never served as stage for traditionalism.

In the 1950’s, teenagers first began wearing blue jeans to protest against conformity.

In 1992, Marc Jacobs was fired from Perry Ellis because executives didn’t think the grunge look would catch on among trendy women of the nineties. Little did they know that the nineties would be defined by a Nirvana-inspired style movement.

In 2007, Karl Lagerfeld warped the usual design of standard runway when he temporarily transformed the Great Wall of China into a catwalk for Fendi’s spring/summer line.

Rules are made to be broken and in an age where the nonconformist is deemed a hero and defiance is more accepted than conventionality, it’s time to ban the style policies of the misinformed.

Growing up, our parents were obsessed with the notion that pairing navy blue and black was as offensive as burping in front of company or losing the dog.

“I don’t think navy blue and black should ever be worn together,” senior sociology major Kristen Bocchino said. “My mom always said they don’t compliment each other so I never mixed the two.”

It’s certainly true that a black belt, navy blue shoes, a brown handbag and a white cardigan will put you on the don’t list for good. But, if done correctly, navy blue can compliment black quite nicely and vice versa.

The look is sloppy yet sophisticated and can be seen on young stars from all over. In his fall 2007 line, Marc Jacobs paired navy blue tops and black bottoms in order to format a look that was both eccentric and sleek.

This goes for patterns as well. For spring 2008 Gucci mixed different patterns of plaid for a look that’s rightfully wrong. After all, no one ever said that plaid needed to stay on reserve for farmers, catholic schoolgirls or Tim the Tool Man Taylor. It’s a bit risky, so go for it. Pair a navy blue and black plaid button down with skinny jeans and flats for a look that’s oh so Olsen twin.

The sky’s the limit and the glass ceiling has melted. The idea of choosing a style persona has been banished and skewed. But is it possible to be labeled both a “prep” and a “prima ballerina?” A “brain” and a “beauty queen?”

Louis Vuitton models for this spring sauntered the runway in giant chiffon hair bows. Luella accessorized her models in thick plastic eyeglasses. Alexander McQueen, who attended his own spring fashion show in a red plaid kilt and Mickey Mouse sweatshirt, has designed everything from menswear style skirted suits to whimsical chiffon dresses – proving that the modern woman shouldn’t conform to a uniform based on personality.

Speaking of stereotypes – thought socks and sandals were just for hippie hikers chomping on trailmix and granola bars? Think again. Nicolas Ghesqui