Spring fashion: Your light at the end of the tunnel

It’s been a rough winter for Quinnipiac. The endless amount of snow, the freezing temperatures (it’s April now, thank you!), and the infamous “wintry mix” has taken over our lives and our fashion choices. I’ve been pretty awful at judging what to wear when I go to class, partly because I assume that since it’s officially spring I should be able to walk outside in flats and a light jacket. But no, I seem to freeze my butt off instead.

Still, I’m not letting the harsh weather get in the way of what’s really important these days: shopping for spring clothes. That way, when the warm weather finally hits, I’m ready to greet that 70-degree weather with open arms and appropriate fashion flair.

The first item on my spring fashion list is a floral miniskirt, preferably one that is pleated so it’s not as flat on my body. I realize that this trend isn’t exactly new, but it’s clearly a spring staple if every store in the mall is selling it. Right now, Urban Outfitters takes the cake for floral miniskirts. They are currently selling one from Urban Renewal at $39, a price I’m not crazy about, but one that doesn’t exactly turn me off. The skirt comes in three different floral prints (I’m partial to the black version with the green and pink floral pattern). What’s even better is that this skirt is elastic, so it may be the perfect May Weekend skirt.

The second item I’m eyeing is a pair of stone-colored Keds. Yes, Keds—go ahead and make all of the “this-is-a-shoe-for-a-nurse-or-my-grandmother” jokes you can think of, but I think these canvas sneakers are absolutely adorable. For one, they’re extremely light and durable. They’re basically made for the spring weather, and although they’re shoes that you may have worn when you were in elementary school, you can’t deny their versatility. This shoe goes with skinny jeans, shorts, and obviously, cute little floral miniskirts! I love the stone color for neutral purposes, but the ladybug-red hue is pretty darn cute, too.

Forever 21 offers a wide variety of rompers. Anything that takes one-fifth of a second to thrown on and another half-second to accessorize usually becomes a fashion staple – which is why I bring you the multi-purpose, always handy romper. I really love the Essential Jersey Romper in black from Forever 21 because it will effortlessly go with any piece of jewelry, colored belt or hat that I own. Personally, I’m excited to wear a turquoise necklace or pair of earrings with this romper, as well as brown gladiator sandals. You can never go wrong with black. Their heather gray and royal blue options are just as charming (did I mention you can wear Keds with a romper?)

I know the sun is itching to come out, and I don’t plan on wearing my navy winter jacket for much longer. Perhaps spring shopping will do us all some good, and will bring the warm weather to our campus. Plus, I’m so ready to rock a romper on the Quad … with my Keds, naturally.