UMBC stages late rally, tops men’s lacrosse on home turf

Despite holding a one-goal lead for most of the game, the Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse team couldn’t keep it until the end. The University of Maryland, Baltimore County defeated the Bobcats 9-7 in a come-from-behind victory.

The Bobcats outshot UMBC 34-25, but even that couldn’t help Quinnipiac defeat its non-conference opponent.

UMBC’s Dave Brown tied it at 7, Scott Hopmann scored the winning goal off a pass from Scott Jones at 6:23 of the fourth quarter, and Jones went on to score the insurance goal three minutes later.

Even though they outshot UMBC 14-9 in the last quarter, the Bobcats couldn’t maintain the lead.

Dylan Webster notched the Bobcats’ seventh goal, putting them ahead until Brown evened it up at 7:19.

The Bobcats went on a five-goal run in the first half, before UMBC went on its own four-goal streak heading into the third and fourth quarters. Hopmann’s first goal, coming with 1:05 remaining, was the only one to be scored in the third quarter.

Jack Oppenheimer tallied two goals in the game, both starting and ending the Bobcats’ streak in the first half. He also added an assist on Webster’s goal.

Jake Emms also recorded two goals for Quinnipiac, while Jones and Hopmann led UMBC with two goals each. Jones assisted Hopmann’s second goal.

Bobcat goalkeeper Kevin Benzing made two saves compared to UMBC’s Brian McCullough’s 13.

Quinnipiac travels to Rhode Island on Friday to take on Bryant in its first Northeast Conference matchup.