Women’s ice hockey drops puck on inaugural season

The Quinnipiac University Women’s Ice Hockey team played their first Division I game against Colgate University on Oct. 26. The stands were packed and school President Lahey dropped the inaugural puck before the game.
Colgate took a quick lead with Kristy MacDonald scoring their first goal less than six minutes into the game. They strengthened their lead with two more goals in the next three minutes, scoring all three of their goals for the game in the first nine minutes.
Quinnipiac put themselves on the scoreboard when freshman Gillian Gallagher scored the team’s first varsity goal ever, off of a pass from sophomore Julie Mei about halfway through the third period. With under three minutes left on the clock, Caitlin Peters, a freshman from Minneapolis, Minn., put a pass from Hillary Bulger in the net, cutting Colgate’s lead down to only one goal.
With only thirty seconds left in the game Quinnipiac pulled goaltender Catherine Lapare, so they could have a sixth attacker on the ice in hopes to score one more goal to tie the game. Although Quinnipiac came back with two goals in the third period, they were unable to score a third and Colgate won 3-2. Lapare, a freshman from Valley Field, Quebec made 29 saves in goal for the Braves.
After Friday nights game Gallagher, a freshman from Boonton, New Jersey, who scored Quinnipiac’s first goal. Gallagher said, “Everybody played hard, we communicated well, they just had a few lucky bounces.”
“It was a great game,” one Quinnipiac fan said, “the third period was really intense, I thought they were going to come back and score that third goal.”
Saturday afternoon the two teams met again. After a scoreless first period Colgate scored the games first goal just over five minutes into the second period, and immediately followed it with a second goal only 34 seconds later. With just under four minutes left in the period Colgate scored a third goal, taking a 3-0 lead.
The third period was scoreless until, in an attempt to put something on the scoreboard, Quinnipiac pulled freshman goalie Victoria Castellon with just over a minute left in the game. Colgate got the puck and hurled it towards the empty net adding one more goal to their lead and winning the game 4-0.
Quinnipiac goalies Mel Courtermanche and Castellon had a combined 40 saves for the game.
Bulger, a freshman from White Bear Lake, Minnesota, said, “We have a lot of talent on the team, in time we’ll come together and we can focus on the ultimate goal of winning as a team!”
The turnout of fans was great at both games. Ashley Hatchis one of the returning players from last years team. She expressed the teams appreciation to all those who came. “We are very dependant on our fans,” Hatch said after Saturday’s game.
The Quinnipiac Women go to New Hampshire for a two game series against UNH.