Thompson: Kamlet will be appointed new SoC dean

Lee Kamlet will be appointed as the next dean of the School of Communications, according to an e-mail from Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs Mark Thompson.

Thompson issued the announcement to the School of Communications faculty and staff Tuesday evening.

Kamlet is a network producer who has worked with ABC News since July 2010. He will take the helm as dean on April 4.

“This is a tremendous opportunity to be with students and faculty who have great vision about the future of communications,” Kamlet said in a university press release. “I look forward to sharing the energy and excitement with students that has carried me through a 35-year career in broadcast journalism.”

Curiosity of Kamlet’s deanship arose after Associated Press writer Beth Fouhy spilled the beans, congratulating Kamlet via Twitter.

“Lee brings a combination of leadership qualities, industry experience and contacts that I am confident will benefit the students, faculty and staff of the School of Communications,” he said.

Thompson offered up thanks in the e-mail to the search committee, as well as interim dean Michele Moore.

“It is difficult for me to adequately express in an email my deep appreciation for the excellent job that Michele Moore has done in the role of interim dean,” Thompson said. “Being an interim dean is challenging. Michele has been a strong advocate for the School of Communications and demonstrated great leadership. I hope that you will join me in thanking her.”