Freshman nets hat trick, men’s lacrosse win easily in home-opener

Even though Holy Cross outshot Quinnipiac 39-34, the men’s lacrosse team defeated the Crusaders 10-5 in its home opener for its first win of the season.

Freshman Dylan Webster recorded his first four points of his collegiate career, as he put three goals on the board and got an assist on Basil Kostaras’ goal, all in the first quarter.

“[Webster’s] a really talented kid,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Fekete said. “I’ve been waiting for a few of these guys to give me one. He’s capable of putting 10 points up on the board, so we need those goals, and it’s nice to see him get more confidence.”

Webster made all four of his points in the first 11 minutes of the game. He opened up scoring 2:08 into the game with an assist by Kostaras. Seventeen seconds later, Webster returned the favor when Kostaras scored the Bobcats’ second goal.

Kevin Kelly assisted Webster’s final two goals, before scoring one of his own with 1:16 remaining in the quarter.

“We worked a lot more on shooting this week,” Fekete said. “Last week we saw some goals from Fairfield, and it kind of felt like our guys didn’t want to pull the trigger and shoot. We really spent a lot of time this week going back to what we call shooting camp, worked on velocity, technique, and I think the guys were really confident in shooting the ball. That played a huge part in the beginning of the game especially.”

With a 5-0 lead, Holy Cross didn’t let the Bobcats complete the shutout going into the next quarter. With 14 seconds remaining, Colin McGeehin put the Crusaders on the board. John Hannan scored two more in the second quarter to make it a 5-3 game.

Quinnipiac dominated the final half with five goals compared to Holy Cross’s two. Kostaras tallied his second of the game, while Billy Alessi (2), Christian Haggerty, and Jack Oppenheimer also netted goals.

“Every decision you make on the field has to be relative to your team,” Fekete said. “You can’t make selfish or foolish choices along the way. When we buckle down and get the right guys, I think these guys realize we snuck [out a win] today.”

Quinnipiac faces Providence College on the road on Saturday.

Photo credit: Katie O’Brien