RAVE and WRECK of the week, March 9, 2011

RAVE of the week: Lupe’s a laser, not a loser

Lupe Fiasco’s fans petitioned, protested and have waited long enough. Fiasco’s long-awaited album “Lasers” was released Tuesday, and it has given fans the music they wanted.

“Lasers” is Fiasco’s third studio album, featuring singles “The Show Goes On” and “Words I Never Said.” “I’ll Never Forget You” is an uplifting feature with John Legend with strong, deep lyrics. Legend provides the chorus, while Fiasco’s inspiring lyrics move his listeners.

With a simple chorus and easy words, “The Show Goes On” is a song Fiasco made for his fans in October. “Words I Never Said,” on the other hand, strengthens Fiasco’s reputation as a political rapper, as he talks about the Iraqi war, Muslims and drug use, among others.

“State Run Radio,” “Break the Chain” and “Coming Up” are all other songs that highlight the album. Trey Songz sings the chorus as he collaborates with Fiasco on “Out of My Head.”

Fiasco planned on releasing “Lasers” in 2009, but he and his record label, Atlantic Records, were in a dispute over the album’s content and release. The two sides were at a stalemate for months when more than 32,000 of his fans created a petition last July to support Fiasco. His fans protested outside Atlantic Records’ office in October, which led to the two sides reaching an agreement.

WRECK of the week: Kim: Stop trying to sing

Kim Kardashian is the latest reality star bombshell to pollute the music industry. Kardashian’s debut single “Jam (Turn It Up)” premiered March 2 on KIIS FM with Ryan Seacrest, and was the subject of biting criticisms via Twitter.

“Kim Kardashian…You have given us your ass. Please take away your awful single. It is not my ‘jam,’” #newreleasetuesday tweeted.

The wannabe dance club track was written and produced by The Dream, who has worked with the likes of Rihanna and Beyonce.

Unfortunately, Kardashian is following in the musically un-inclined footsteps of previous reality “stars” such as Angelina Pavarnick (“Jersey Shore”) and Heidi Montag (“The Hills”), who both released lackluster singles in the midst of their 15 minutes of fame.

“Jam (Turn It Up)” is similar to Ke$ha’s voice, as it sounds like she is speaking the lyrics instead of actually singing them. The lyrics are so lame it would‘ve been believable that Kardashian wrote them herself.

“Girls in the building/fellas in the club,/boys spending money/girls looking good./ I’m on the floor, living my life/feeling so good, feeling so right!”

Let’s just hope a tacky music video won’t be following anytime soon. The moral of this story: just because you’re pretty doesn’t mean you can sing. Kim K, please stick to filming your reality show and posing half naked on magazine covers.

Video credit: youtube