College of Liberal Arts offers 26 new courses

minated to all of the undergraduate students regarding the 26 new courses being offered through the College of Liberal Arts.
    These courses, which will be available in the spring 2002 semester, include a variety of subject matters including Criminal Justice, English, Drama, Sociology, History, Computer Science, and Interactive Digital Design. These courses will help students examine, explore, and analyze the different aspects in the field of Liberal Arts.
    In Criminal Justice, the courses are focused in criminal and deviant behavior asd well as the social response to this behavior within the context of a sociological perspective. The courses include Investigative Techniques, Public Order Crime, Constitution, Ethics, Policing, and Criminal Justice Policy.
    According to the Chair of the Department, Professor Lori Sudderth, the courses are being geared toward sophomores, because last year the classes contained mostly freshman and sophomores.
    “This year there are five seniors majoring in Criminal Justice that need some of these classes to graduate in May. These courses were provided to make sure that they get all the recommended classes and they meet their requirement for graduation,” she said.
    There will be two adjuncts teaching two of the classes. Michael Lawlor, the State Legislative Representative from East Haven, will teach SO/CJ 300C, Criminal Justice Policy. Elaine Pagliaro, who runs the forensics lab with the State Police, will teach CJ 200A, Investigative Techniques. “Both of them are immersed in the techniques to the students,” said Sudderth.
    Lawlor will help students understand the practical limitations of the criminal justice system and to better appreciate the concerns of police, crime victims, to different court officials, politicians, accused persons, offenders, journalists, and ordinary citizens. The Investigative Techniques course will provide the students with basic concepts of crime scene investigation; scene and investigative personnel management; nature of investigative personnel roles; steps in the processing of scenes and evidence; methods of documentation; reconstruction of events, and legal and ethical consideration during criminal investigations.
    The English Department in the College of Liberal Arts is dedicated to the study of the arts of reading and writing. A large variety of literature courses are offered in all periods and genres. English Professor D. Zucker and Sociology Professor M. Wenglinsky, will be teaching EN/SO 300A, The Age of the Titanic: Everyday Life from 1895 to 1914, which is a two-disciplinary course.
    Students will study the rich period that marked the end of the Victorian Age and how it was cut short by the start of World War I. The literature, art, and social theory of the period will be put in the context through the discussion of the shifting social and political structures in four of the countries which created this new culture.
    Professor David Cole, will teach EN 320A, Studies in the Novel: Pacifist Novel. It is the study of the pacifist novel as a genre centering on varied degrees of pacifism, ambivalence in the peace-time military and theaters of war, ante-bellum and post-bellum attitudes, and the paradox of pacifism, love, and human aggression.
    “There will be eight novels to read,” said Professor Cole. “The students will have to read books ranging from the eight-hundred page novel, From Here to Eternity, by James Jones, to a three-hundred page novel, Catch-22, by Joseph Heller.”
    Associate Professor Crystal Brian is the Director of the Theatre Program. The new courses that are being offered in Theatre in the spring semester are Drama 325, Dramaturgy and Production Seminar, which is a course focused on the Long Wharf Theatre season.
    Students in the class will attend technical/dress rehearsals of all the Long Wharf productions in the spring, as well as performances and other events hosted at the Long Wharf. Long Wharf guest artists will also be coming to campus to visit class and talk about the different productions. Students will have a chance to talk with artists and get a practical, first-hand experience with the artistic and production issues associated with a major regional theatre’s season.
    “The class will also be a good opportunity for students to arrange internships and make professional connections with the Long Wharf Theatre,” said Professor Brian, who will be teaching that class.
    Another new course is Drama 305/Education 362, Theatre for Young Audiences. “This class will work with middle school students at Highville Mustardseed Charter School in Hamden to create a theatre for youth production. Its composed of multi-cultural folk stories and plays the students write themselves, based on their own cultural backgrounds,” said Professor Brian. She will be teaching one section of the course, and Ife Gardin, Director of Outreach at the Long Wharf Theatre, will teach the other.
    “This class should be a wonderful opportunity for drama and education students who are interested in using theatre to work with children and to help the middle school students use art in expressing their experiences and feelings,” said Professor Brian.
    The Theatre Department will also be offering Drama 375, Theatre History, which Professor Brian is also teaching. The course will focus on the theatre history and dramatic literature of the modern era, beginning in the late 19th Century through the contemporary period. The students will focus on those directors, playwrights and visionaries who have been most instrumental in shaping the modern theatre. The course will approach theatre history in its social,political and cultural context.
    Professor David Valone teaches HS 300A, The Rise of Modern Science. The class will study the development of modern scientific ideas, beginning with the scientific revolution in the 17th Century.
    “We’ll begin by looking at the ancient scientific world view, in which the earth was the center of the universe. We’ll talk about discoveries in astronomy, the development of the idea of gravity by Newton, the development of modern systems of classification in biology and chemistry. We will talk about the development of modern physics. Along the way we’ll place science into its social and political context, and think about how the world today is shaped by science and technology for better and for worse,” Professor Valone said.
    Professor Jonathan Blake is the Computer Science and Interactive Digital Design chair. The computer science major offers a foundation of study in computer science within the framework of a traditional liberal arts education. Interactive Digital Design (IDD) provides students with hands-on experience in creating, designing, and authoring original interactive art for CD-ROM, DVD, the World Wide Web, and desktop presentation. IDD emphasizes artistic creativity, experimentation, and technological competence grounded in a critical understanding of the arts and related areas of the humanities. Five faculty members will be teaching these courses.
    Professor Patti Belle Hastings will be teach AR/IDD 250, Literature and Writing for Interactive Arts, and AR/IDD 270, Type Design and Production. In the literature and writing course, students will read, view, and critically analyze select examples from dramatic literature and interactive multi-media. Students will also create interactive multi-media research essays for desktop and online presentation.
    In Type Design and Production, students will be taught to both understand type and to use it as a design element. Using current computer graphics includes the use of type, page layout, color and the importing of graphics.
    All of the departments are ecstatic over the many new offerings. While the courses require prerequisites, all of the professors believe that these courses are worthwhile to take in the near future if it pertains to the intended interest of study. The College of Liberal Arts provides a critical foundation for his or her specialty. The variety of fields will prepare those for personal and professional