Security report shows no sexual offenses, disciplinary referrals for liquor violations have gone up

Drug-related violations are down while liquor law violations are up, according to the annual Campus Security Report.
    The annual report is mandated by the Clery Act, and act which requires all colleges and universities to produce and distribute a security report that is available to all students.
    According to the 2000 Report, there were no reported forcible sex offenses on campus, no reported robberies on campus, no reported aggravated assaults on campus, and no reported motor vehicle thefts.
    John Twining, chief of security and safety, said that he is satisfied with the latest security report. “If I can keep to these numbers or lower, I’ll be happy,” he said.
    Twining warned that students should not let their guard down simply because these numbers are low. “The more these numbers go down, the more difficult it becomes to convince students to be safe,” he said.
    The security report also stated that there had been no arrests for liquor violations this past school year. However, there were 523 disciplinary referrals for liquor law violations on campus. This number is up from 212 reported violations in 1999.
    “Referrals make more sense than arrests,” said Twining. He said that in most situations, he believes an arrest followed by community service is not a learning experience for the student.
    Twining said the reason the number of disciplinary referrals was so high was because there has been more enforcement. “We’ve been more aggressive,” he said.
    “If we get to the booze before people drink it, the incident numbers go down,” Twining said. “The more we take earlier in the evening, the less problems we have later in the night.”
    The security report also shows that arrests for drug-related violations on campus were cut in half from 1999 to 2000, and disciplinary referrals for drug-related violations on campus were cut by more than half.
    In 2000, there were 28 disciplinary referrals for drug-related violations on campus, compared to only two arrests. Twining said that depending on the type of drug and the amount found, referrals are more effective.
    “I don’t see messing up someone’s life with an arrest when you can offer a more effective solution,” he said.
    Sean Cannon, 22, a senior computer information systems major, said that he feels the campus has always been safe. “I spent three years on this campus, and I always felt safe,” he said. “I know we’re in a pretty safe area, but things can still happen.”
    Twining said that although Quinnipiac is a relatively safe campus, crime can still occur. He compared the campus to a small town. “Whatever happens in your town is going to happen here,” he said.
    According to Twining, security’s service load is up, but the crime report has stayed about the same.
    “We’re trying to be pro-active instead of reactive,” Twining said. “We want to be high profile but low-key. When we [Security] walk into the residence halls, students shouldn’t say “‘What’s wrong?’ but ‘How are you?'”
    In the near future, Twining said that card-entry will begin to replace key-entry into the residence halls. He said that it is quite expensive, but it will possibly be used in the new residence hall being built next to the Ledges.
    “We’re also looking into better lighting and more emergency phones, especially in the Hilltop parking lot,” Twining said.