Grammys Red Carpet Hits and Misses

Before I get into the nitty-gritty of who wore what at the Grammy Awards, let me say what I know is on everybody’s mind: Lady Gaga showed up in egg – and let’s just say, no one who attended the show could really top that.

That said, I’d like to make an extra point. I felt the dresses worn by some of the biggest stars were a little tasteless. I know this awards ceremony differs from others since it’s flashier, and the fashion shouldn’t be as reserved and formal, but I can’t say I was thrilled to see Nicki Minaj wearing a head-to-toe leopard pantsuit.

However, there were some gems fluttering around the red carpet. For one, Lea Michele of “Glee” looked wonderful in a black ruffled Emilio Pucci gown with a deep slit, paired with red lipstick. Jennifer Hudson, whose recent weight loss has accentuated her curves and natural silhouette, walked the red carpet in an asymmetrical Versace dress in navy blue with silver detail on the bust. Her new figure is so stunning, and Hudson takes first place for complementing her body and making use of classic structures with the right amount of detail. Lastly, Miley Cyrus looked exotic in a sequined tiger-print dress and black metallic bangles. To some, the dress might have been excessive, but I liked the risk she took with wearing an animal print, which is always a tough look to pull off.

Gold seemed to be a recurring theme this year with a number of well-known celebrities resorting to the metallic hue. Selena Gomez graced the awards show in a snug, shimmering gold J. Mendel gown. The young star wore her hair wavy, with colored diamonds in her ears for a delicate touch. LeAnn Rimes hit a high note with her Reem Acra dress that looked like a modern-day toga with twisted shoulder straps. Country star Miranda Lambert wore a “gunmetal,” one-shoulder Georges Chakra dress that gave her curves the perfect emphasis.

Nicki Minaj, who I normally praise for her originality in both music and fashion, gave me a bit of a scare this year. Dressed in head-to-toe leopard (literally, since her shoes, pants, and bubble skirt were all covered with the print), the rapper topped it off with Cruella De Vil-styled hair.

Katy Perry is also known for her interesting take on fashion. Although she toned it down for the Grammy Awards, I still wasn’t fond of her angel dress. The studded brassiere, the sheer skirt made out of material straight from Barbie’s closet, and the angel wings were all too much for me to handle. I’m not sure what the singer’s intentions were, but if she was attempting to be a real-life “Teenage Dream,” I just wasn’t excited about it. Rihanna also disappointed with the white and sheer look. She wore a dress that looked as if cotton balls or streamers had been melded together to rim around the dress from top to bottom. Plus, her reddish brown hair and matching lipstick were not flattering.

Finally, not to leave out the men, John Mayer’s appearance disappointed me. Sure, he came in a white suit, which is always simple and acceptable, but his face gave the impression of a greasy biker. His hair was flat, and he was trying to sport scruff with a very unappealing mustache–a look that Johnny Depp has perfected. Mayer, who has become a Hollywood playboy thanks to his good looks and ingenious guitar skills, was definitely a turn-off for viewers, including myself.

Like every awards show, the fun lies with the comparison of who wore it best, and who shouldn’t have worn it at all. I was disappointed this year by the number of stars who usually impress, but just went too far with trying to turn heads with creative designs. We always have the Oscars to look forward to, but in the meantime I’ll revel in Hudson’s debut as a newly-fit, gorgeous woman in the music business that still has enough reason to dress with style.