7 spring break getaways

Spring break: It’s the one-week respite we receive every semester around the time students are about ready to give up on school. According to studentuniverse.com, the top 10 spring break destinations for 2011 seem to follow the trend of years past coupled with some new locations when it comes to partying in the sun.

CANCUN, MEXICO

This below-the-border vacation is synonymous with spring break. A place that boasts “caliente” temperatures and exotic nightlife is undoubtedly a college hot spot.

SOUTH BEACH, MIAMI, FLA.

College students don’t need a passport for this dare-to-bare location. South Beach is known for attracting bronzed, beach-going bodies each year. Armed with wild nightlife, fabulous dining and a young, vibrant crowd, South Beach continues to be a popular spring break destination.

LAS VEGAS, NEV.

College students are drawn to the 24-hour party of flashy lights, gambling and over-the-top nightlife. The pools at hotels and resorts are open in March, giving spring breakers a chance to sunbathe during the day and the opportunity to head inside to dance the night away after the sun sets.

PUNTA CANA, D.R.

Punta Cana is a beautiful Caribbean island tucked neatly in the Dominican Republic. Boasting beautiful white sand beaches and clear blue ocean water, this vacation spot will have college students relaxing their academic stresses away for the week.

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, TEXAS

Close to Mexico, this Texas vacation spot offers all the amenities the below-the-border venue can offer without the passport. The Travel Channel calls the famous Coca-Cola beach in South Padre “the largest beach party on the planet.”

ACAPULCO, MEXICO

Acapulco offers great rates for spring break travelers and is quickly gaining back its popularity from Cancun. With its numerous clubs open until 6 a.m., this is the place for students looking to let down their hair.