Race for Oscars crowded this year

Awards season is upon us and the 83rd annual Academy Awards will air this Sunday. The Oscars are the most recognizable and prestigious film awards around. In addition to celebrating excellent movies, the academy recognizes actors, actresses and a long list of film industry professionals for their contributions to the field.

2010 was an exemplary year for the movie business, as films such as “Inception,” “Black Swan” and “The Social Network” are nominated for multiple Oscars.

There are 10 nominees for the Best Picture category and “The King’s Speech,” “Black Swan” and “The Social Network” have generated the most buzz. “The King’s Speech,” up for 12 Oscars, swept the 2011 guild awards. The film won the Producers Guild Award, director Tom Hooper won the Director’s Guild Award, and the cast won outstanding performance by an ensemble at the Screen Actors Guild Awards.

“‘The Social Network,’ I think, will win because people see Facebook as what our generation is about,” sophomore Tommy Frisina said. “Personally I think ‘Black Swan’ or ‘The Fighter’ deserves best picture.”

“The Fighter” could come through with a knockout punch, considering boxing movies have been successful in past years. Films like “On the Waterfront,” “Rocky” and “Million Dollar Baby” won 15 Oscars collectively.

Colin Firth, who plays stuttering King George VI in “The King’s Speech,” is a top contender for Best Actor, having already picked up outstanding performance by a male actor at the SAG Awards. Meanwhile much hype has surrounded Natalie Portman’s performance in “Black Swan.” Portman’s prima ballerina is obsessed with perfection, which brings out a split personality in the character.

“The role demanded for a dual personality of sensitive and docile to seductive and cunning,” sophomore film major Mike Ferretti said.

Anne Hathaway and Best Actor nominee James Franco (“127 Hours”) will co-host the awards show.