RAVE and WRECK of the week: Feb. 23, 2011

RAVE of the week: Channing Tatum Gets Personal with GQ

Warning: Do not view the latest GQ magazine featuring Channing Tatum in public. It may cause visible perspiration and joint weakness.

The newest GQ issue features the standard man candy photo spread, revealing Tatum’s famous chiseled physique. But this issue doesn’t just exploit Tatum’s hotness; it offers a more personal view of the up-and-coming actor.

The article delves into Tatum’s scandalous past as a male stripper, but instead of avoiding the subject, he chalks it up to crazy past antics.

“I had wanted to tell people,” Tatum said in the article. “I’m not ashamed of it. I don’t regret one thing. I’m not a person who hides shit.”

The feature article, titled “The Full Tatum,” is more of a non-fiction narrative, one which truly personalizes the seemingly rough and tough actor.

The article also discloses personal information regarding Tatum’s marriage to his “Step Up” co-star, Jenna Dewan.

In addition to having matching tattoos under their wedding bands, Tatum refers to Dewan as “Baby Butt” in his cell phone contact list.

Tatum currently stars in the ancient Rome flick “The Eagle,” now in theaters.

Women love him, and men hate him because women love him. But it looks like Tatum’s career isn’t ending anytime soon.

WRECK of the week: We’re Holding It Against You, Britney

Britney Spears has unparalleled success with music videos. Ten of her music videos received a total of 27 nominations at the MTV Video Music Awards, and her “I’m a Slave 4 U” video is instantly recognizable. But her latest video for “Hold It Against Me” does not live up to her usual standard.

The concepts in the video were disjointed, and the blatant product placement was tacky and insulting. Allow me to take you through it.

Britney stands among several male backup dancers, all in multi-colored underwear, and waits while they dress themselves. She sprays perfume on herself, which the super close-up reveals to be Radiance, by Britney Spears. Shameless promotion No. 1.

Some limited choreography begins, interrupted by a shot of Make Up Forever Professional, which Britney clumsily brushes onto her eye. Promotion No. 2.

Cut to Britney in a giant white dress, rising slowly inside of a two-story cylindrical tower of electronics and screens playing old Britney videos.

Promotion No. 3: someone uses the site PlentyofFish.com.

Some actual, excellent choreography begins. Alas, my euphoria is short-lived because we’re back in the electric tower 30 seconds later. Britney waves her arms awkwardly, since her entire torso is strapped in to a 30-foot-tall gown.

And that’s one, two, three, four Sony logos in a span of nine seconds.

The best part of the song, the dance breakdown, should’ve been an epic translation to video. It had all the potential for some impressive hip-hop choreography, but all I saw were tiny snippets of that dancing broken up by the white dress splattered in paint and Britney kickboxing with herself.

Videos should add something to a song, not take anything away. Maybe I expected too much, but you let me down, Brit.