Chuck Revere: The real deal [VIDEO]

Several Quinnipiac students have offered up their rap talents to the YouTube community, but none have opened for Wiz Khalifa–except one.

Chuck Revere, a freshman from West Orange, N.J., is the one.

Along with 18 live performances, Revere has recorded three songs, all of which have received an impressive amount of attention.

“Wasted,” Revere’s first single, is a classic party song. It was released on YouTube earlier this month, and already has more than 7,000 views. BroBible.com, Pumpthebeat.com, and more than 50 other music websites recognized Revere’s potential. His two love songs, “Bonafied Lovin’” and “Girl You Got It” continue to gain popularity.

“I think his songs are real good. My roommates and I are always playing them in our room,” freshman Dylan Zucosky said. “‘Girl You Got It’ sounds like something you’d hear on the radio.”

Revere works with music producer Jon Kilmer at Jon Kilmer Studios in New York City. Kilmer has worked with popular artists such as Chris Webby and Na Palm. Along with Kilmer, Revere’s “So Knarly” (pronounced nar-lee) team accompanies him. “So Knarly” consists of Revere’s friends who support him and help with promotion.

“I think he has a lot of potential,” freshman Harrison Lipsitz said.

The Q & A

How did you get started with rapping and singing?

I grew up in an environment where music was prevalent. I learned how to play the piano at an early age and was always interested in poetry. I found it fascinating that I could express myself through words. I started free styling with my friends in high school and began writing songs my junior year. As I started the songwriting process, I realized I had a singing talent as well.

Your first single “Wasted” received more than 7,000 views on YouTube after two weeks. How do you feel about that?

“Knarly.” Honestly, it feels great that many people are interested in my music and actually listen to it. However, I have a long way to go and am not satisfied yet. I plan to make it to the top and this is a good start.

Who are some artists who influence you?

Drake is my biggest influence. I love his sound and I can relate to him on almost every level. Some other influences are Jay-Z, Kid Cudi and Wiz Khalifa.

As a young artist, what are some of your goals?

My main goal is to get signed by a major record label. However, the purpose of my music is to make songs that I personally like and I believe the rest of the world will like as well.

Many of these young rappers like Sam Adams are being classified as strictly college rappers. How do you want to be classified?

Personally, I hate being categorized. Nobody likes to have a label next to their name. I feel as if I have more to offer than the so-called average college rapper. I write songs about my own experiences, which allows me to cover a broad range of material.

Do you have any performing experience?

Yes I do. My biggest performance was opening up for Wiz Khalifa at Syracuse University last year. I’ve performed around 18 shows in the tristate area. I’m glad you asked that question because I pride myself on my performing skills.

How have you been getting your music out there?

“So Knarly.” That is the name of my promo team. They literally do it all. From sending my songs to different websites, to informing people, I owe it all to them. They get my songs out there through Facebook, submitting songs to music websites, and word of mouth. Also, I want to give a shout-out to Jon Kilmer, who plays a big role in dishing my songs to the larger music websites.

What is the inspiration behind your songs?

It sounds cliché, but I try to keep it as real as possible. My music is inspired from my personal experiences and how I’ve lived my life up until this point. I will always stay true to myself.

What can we expect from Chuck Revere in the near future?

A lot, man. There’s never a day where I’m not writing music. Always expect my best. In the near future, I will be releasing songs on a one to two week basis. I’m currently working on an EP that’s dropping this summer. In terms of shows, I’ve already been asked by several colleges to perform for their fraternities and other big events. I’m always down to perform. “So Knarly” is currently waiting for the spring to come around to shoot the music video for “Wasted.” In the meantime, you can check out my music at my Facebook fan page, which is under Chuck Revere. Also, you can subscribe to my YouTube account, SoKnArLyTV.

Do you think Quinnipiac can help you get exposure?

I will always represent my school, man. It’s a big part of who I am. I constantly receive support from friends and random people who come up to me and congratulate me on my music. I truly appreciate all the love. I hope the school continues to support me even more. Thanks to everyone! You guys are “knarly.”

Photo credit: Ilya Spektor

Video credit: Youtube