Women’s hockey downs Union

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team extended its unbeaten streak against Union to 19 games on Saturday when the Bobcats displayed their dominance with a 4-0 victory.

The win gives the Bobcats a record of 16-0-3 all time against the Dutchwomen.

Seniors Kelley Davies and Kelsey Britton were honored before the game on Senior Day as they skated in their last regular-season game at the TD Bank Sports Center.

For Britton, it was just her fourth game of the year.

“Kelsey doesn’t dress a lot, but she works her heart out every day in practice and we needed her tonight,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “The person she replaced wasn’t playing well and we needed her to come in and she played great.

“[Davies], I’ve watched grow up from a nervous hockey player to a great leader so we’re going to miss both of them,” Seeley said.

After a five-point night on Friday, Kelly Babstock picked up right where she left off and put Quinnipiac (20-10-2,12-8-0 ECAC) up 1-0. Union (2-27-3,1-18-2) attempted to clear the puck from behind the net, but was denied by Elena Orlando. She then wrapped around from the left of Union goalie, Kate Gallagher. Gallagher made a pad save but the rebound was left perfectly in front of the net for Babstock to put home. Brittany Lyons and Orlando were credited with assists as Babstock extended her point streak to eight games.

Shortly into the second period, Lyons gave the Bobcats a 2-0 advantage on her 10th goal of the year. She took a pass from Lindsay Burman at the left circle, deked in front of Gallagher and then backhanded it into the net as she was tripped from behind.

Babstock struck again in the second period for her 29th goal of the year. Kate Wheeler stole the puck from a Union player then found Amanda Colin behind the left side of the net. She then skated towards the net and sent it across the crease where Babstock was waiting for the one-timer, which she put past Gallagher. With the assist, Wheeler has one point in seven of the last nine games.

Gallagher made 42 stops on the night while Victoria Vigilanti made 23 to record her eighth shutout of the year – second in the NCAA.

The Bobcats, who are ranked seventh in the nation in penalty kill percentage, improved that tonight and extended their streak. They haven’t allowed a power-play goal in the last eight games.

The Bobcats will go on the road for its final two games of the regular season when they face Yale and Brown this weekend.

Photo credit: Matt Eisenberg