[UPDATE] It’s Ke$ha for SPB’s ‘Wake the Giant’ concert

Daniella Appolonia

Sleeping Giant might wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy when Ke$ha invades the Bank for the Student Programming Board’s annual “Wake the Giant” concert.

Ke$ha’s “Get Sleazy Tour” will make its way to Hamden on Saturday, April 2 at 8 p.m. for a show that is sure to be anything but a slumber party in her basement.

Students discovered the mystery performer through a video SPB uploaded to Youtube on Monday night. The committee members filled a crowded room in Tator Hall on Feb.7 awaiting the video’s reveal to the rest of the community.

Jamie Kloss, SPB’s mainstage chair, knows the board has their work cut out for them, but is still happy with the decision.

“I’m really pumped,” Kloss said. “Our entire committee is really pumped. I couldn’t feel better about it. It was something that we had to move on very quickly.

“Ke$ha’s tour was booking up quicker than a lot of tours were even opening for colleges. So, we were thrilled for the opportunity to have her and we’re so excited.”

Senior Samantha Campbell is also pleased with SPB’s decision.

“I’m excited because it’s finally someone who you can sing and dance to, and not just sit and listen,” Campbell said. “Plus it’s a good way to end senior year.”

With her sudden explosion on to the pop scene with her debut single “TiK ToK,” 23-year-old Ke$ha seemed like a one-hit wonder. But with numerous No. 1 hits on the Billboard charts, millions of worldwide album sales, and a now sold-out tour, Ke$ha has stuck around.

Songs like “We R Who We R” and “Take it Off” have made it to the top of the Billboard charts. Ke$ha is even featured on hits like 3OH!3’s “My First Kiss” and Flo Rida’s “Right Round.”

Still, not everyone is thrilled with the outcome.

“That blows,” senior Bryan Sarmiento said. “Let’s get some good tunes. Where are the Strokes?”

The other top contenders for the spot were Kid Cudi, Bruno Mars, and Train. Kloss said Ke$ha was the name SPB wanted, so she was who they went after first. Meanwhile, Kid Cudi will appear at Sacred Heart University on May 1.

WQAQ General Manager Mike Farrell would have preferred an alternate choice.

“I’m not surprised they got her,” Farrell said. “It’s a shame SPB can’t really afford to take risks with booking artists. With ticket prices that high I can only imagine how overblown her guarantee must have been.”

Ticket prices for undergraduate students are $20 for arena seating and $25 for the floor. They will be on sale at the student center tables beginning Feb. 14.

Part of the agreement with booking Ke$ha was to accept the act touring with her. SPB is currently unaware of this special guest opener.

However, Kloss did meet with Voted Most Random, a local band featuring members of the Quinnipiac community, to discuss the possibility of them opening for the event.

“That’s something that’s still in the works,” Kloss said. “[SPB] would love to have them open, but we are still waiting on [Ke$ha’s] end for that. So at this point, we’re not sure.

“This is the biggest show that we’ve ever had—more theatrics than our production crews have ever dealt with,” Kloss said. “It’s going to be an incredible show and we’re ready to take it on.”