Best of Spring Couture

Eager audiences look forward to new and old designers displaying their freshest collections on the runway, hoping to see new, creative designs or vintage looks being reinvented, particularly when it comes to couture. Couture shows contain only the most elite designers – those who have been known to supply gowns for the red carpet, gala events and high fashion cover shoots. Staples such as Armani Prive, Chanel and Christian Dior have classically couture characteristics. The pieces exhibited at these fashion shows are sure to be seen again on trendy celebrities or socialites, especially as the awards season comes to a peak.

Armani Prive has always been a reliable choice for those glamorous enough to carry themselves in couture. For this particular spring collection, the fashion house got their shine on, featuring metallic materials reminiscent of reflections on a mirror, or even sunlight hitting a window. After viewing the first few photos provided on Style.com, I began to wonder if the audience was provided with the necessary sunglasses.

The design house also played with shapes, as the structure of each dress was squarely cut or featured a triangle-shaped top. My two favorite dresses of the collection included a long, Grecian, strapless dress in navy blue that covered the model like a sheath. The waist was accented by a bright, metallic red belt that was overshadowed by an extra structure of material below the bust, as if a cave was provided for the belt to peek through. The second dress had the same long sheath effect, this time in a gray hue. The strapless bust, however, was a darker metallic gray that diagonally cut below the stomach to give a contrast between matte and metallic, but in an artistic way. These two dresses represent an attention to simplicity and detail that seems to make all the difference in haute couture.

The house of Chanel, led by the always bold Karl Lagerfeld, has become one of my favorite design houses simply because it sticks to the styles and designs it knows best, but always finds a way to remodel them and spice up their previous compilations. What I love even more is that Lagerfeld tends to go with shades, rather than colors. Keeping with black, white and gray (and maybe brown and pale pink on a lucky occasion) is what has truly kept Chanel a classic. The dress that stuck out to me the most was a full-length, sheer pink tulle skirt with a sparkly, cap-sleeved cropped tee.

Lastly, Christian Dior’s runway presentation was nothing short of outrageous. If you can picture old 1920s Hollywood glamour, 1950s-style prom dresses and Moulin Rouge-esque vintage wear, you have envisioned the latest Dior collection. One extravagant gown featured a full, thickly layered skirt fit for a modern-day Cinderella. The strapless bust also featured large, three-dimensional adornments ruffled to mimic flowers, descending from the top down to the hem. The pale gray dress was accessorized with black, elbow-length gloves. One black strapless gown was tapered in the front to reveal the model’s knees down to her heel-clad feet, while remaining long and layered in the back. Light blue feathers started at the bust, getting darker in color as they trickled down to the hem. Other pieces included large bows, sheer tulle, layered material, plunging necklines, full triangular skirts, faux fur, and puffy sleeves.

The trinity of these designers represents different approaches to fashion, yet captures the timeless styles of couture that celebrities and fashion followers alike have learned to love and appreciate. To get a further look at these three fashion houses and more, go to Style.com for more great photos!