Men’s basketball outrebounded, still knock out Knights

Despite being outrebounded for the first time this season, the Quinnipiac Bobcats prevailed 66-56 over Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday afternoon in Hackensack, N.J.

The Bobcats (11-3, 3-1 NEC) came into the game leading the nation in rebounds at 44.5 per game but struggled as Justin Rutty missed his second straight game with an elbow injury. They still managed to grab 35 boards, seven apiece from Deontay Twyman and Jamee Jackson.

Twyman also added 17 points and two assists. Jackson, who is receiving extended minutes while Rutty is out had 14 points and three blocks in 34 minutes
.
The victory gave Quinnipiac a weekend sweep in New Jersey after defeating Monmouth by two on Thursday. It was also the eighth win in the last 10 games for the Bobcats and the seventh straight loss for the Knights.

Fairleigh Dickinson (3-10, 2-2 NEC) never stood a chance as it fell behind early and played sloppy ball. Eleven first half turnovers left the Knights at a 10-point deficit to start the second half. They finished the game with 18 turnovers to just five for the Bobcats.

Quinnipiac had better shooting in the game as well. They shot 46 percent from the field thanks to Twyman, who shot 7-for-14 from the floor. Terence Grier finished with a game-high 20 points and shot 9-for-14. However, the rest of his team could not heat up and shot a combined 10-for-38 (26 percent).

Mike Scott hit 3-of-6 from downtown and finished with 12 points while Nate Gibbs had eight.

The Bobcats will look to win their third straight against a three-win Bryant team on Thursday at the Bank.