Suzanne Hudd named Dean of Liberal Arts

This year, as students ventured back to Quinnipiac to begin the new fall semester they encountered new changes all over campus. One of the most obvious changes was the addition of the new liberal arts building in the Pine Grove section of the University. The building stands tall in Pine Grove and is modernly designed and filled with professors, secretaries, and classrooms in order to match the university’s growing needs. As one enters the ground floor of the new building, it is almost impossible to miss the office of the new Dean of Liberal Arts, Suzanne Hudd.
    “I am a true Connecticut native,” stated the smiling Hudd as she sat behind a desk full of paperwork. Hudd grew up in North Haven, Conn., and graduated from North Haven High School. After graduation, she was accepted as a Yale undergrad and studied psychology as well as liberal arts. She continued her education as a Yale graduate student and received a doctorate in Sociology. Dean Hudd also attended the University of Connecticut and received a masters in Public Health.
    After receiving an extensive educational background, Hudd worked a variety of professional jobs that paved the way for her future as a Dean at Quinnipiac. She was employed by the Hartford Hospital for three to four years serving as an associate planner, where she supervised the organization and planning of the hospital and its programs. She also worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield as a private representative who aided in services and programming for hospitals and doctors. Hudd also served as an adjunct for Yale University and William and Mary University, teaching research methods and medical sociology.
    Although this list of previous employment is quite impressive, Hudd’s credentials do not end as an adjunct. One of the most remarkable jobs that Hudd accepted was teaching literature to 8th grade students in Belize, Central America for a year.
    Finally, in July of 2000, Hudd was enrolled as the associate Dean of liberal arts at Quinnipiac, and this July, she was accepted as the Dean of Quinnipiac’s liberal arts program.
    Dean Hudd can also be found teaching a 300 level Evaluation Research course at Quinnipiac. When asked if she was considering any new type of programming within the Liberal Arts program, Hudd announced that she was excited about two newly launched programs she had helped developed.
    “We have just introduced a Criminal Justice program along with a Digital Design program. As one can see, we are expanding our possibilities at Quinnipiac” said Hudd.
    When Dean Hudd is away from her busy schedule at Quinnipiac, and not taking on the role as the Dean of Liberal Arts, she enjoys baking, but considers herself to be an avid exerciser.
    “I love to play tennis. Actually, to tell you the truth, I’m quite athletic. I loved playing on baseball and basketball teams,” said Hudd.
    Although Hudd is Dean by day and sometimes by night (on a busy day), she also takes on the role as a wife and mother. “I love spending time with my family. Actually right now its quite funny…I’m getting my two children ready for Halloween. I know it’s early, but I love being ahead of schedule,” said Hudd, as she smiles and then laughs.
    Hudd, well represented as a professional member of the Quinnipiac faculty, is also very personal and “down to earth” (a characteristic most students look for in Quinnipiac faculty). Program planning rests high on Hudd’s list of goals, but the student body rests, and will remain, at her number one spot.
    “I believe that one of my main goals here at Quinnipiac is to make sure that we have the right classes for the right students, but most of all I want to strengthen this institution through the students”.
    “If I can offer any advice to anyone, it would be very simple,” said Hudd, smiling. “I would advise students not to think of their future career as a decision. It should be thought of as many decisions.”