On the power of influence

With all due respect and deference to my colleagues and fellow editors at this newspaper, the political section of a college publication should always hold unique and significant prominence. Traditionally, college campuses have served as arenas for progressive thinking and rallies against injustice. Altruistic political activism is the perfect manner to exercise one’s influence and work towards something greater than self-interest. I take this space to openly invite all students to exert their influence in the form of the written word.
    The written word is pure and unmitigated power. It is the universal asset that bonds all of mankind. Each stroke of the pen is a possible catalyst for revolution. While this language may smack of hyperbole, there is no melodrama necessary. Money and possessions may come and go, but influence is innate and permanent, colorless and classless. Throughout history, positive reform has never been achieved by means of wealth or bully tactics. It has been achieved by innovative and groundbreaking philosophy. The written word is simply the dissemination of original ideology.
    In our increasingly materialistic and image driven society, it has been very easy for people to take for granted the natural endowments that we have been afforded. This is especially true of us, the university students. Whether we have arrived at school via scholarship, after school jobs, or other means, we are all eternally lucky, and should prove to be eternally grateful. The process we must therefore undertake has two general, fundamental steps:
    1) to come to terms with the fact that, despite our daily gripes and nagging failures, we are blessed and fortunate to be where we are; and
    2) to create a way to extend our opportunities to the greatest possible number of people. It is important to note that one’s needs not galvanize a revolution or change the Constitution to be influential. While it sounds cliched, if one person pauses to rethink a position, then the writer has been successful.
    The style of prose certainly does not have to be of Shakespearian talent, just supported, thoughtful, and believed in. We will attempt to focus on debate and interactive reader feedback. It is my pledge to be without prejudice, and unbiased in the publication of any specific viewpoint or method of thinking. Thank you. I look forward to an eclectic collection of inspired ideology.