Mystic Sights

One of the most scenic, interesting, and educational places in the Northeast is only about an hour away from us here at Quinnipiac. This place is Mystic, Connecticut.
    One of the biggest attractions in Mystic is the Mystic Aquarium. The aquarium houses thousands of rare and beautiful fish, in a dark room full of tanks that allows the visitor to feel as if they are partaking in life under the sea. Sea lions and penquins can be found outside of the Aquarium, and great window views are provided for a closer look at these species.
    One of the newest attractions is the “Challenge of the Deep.” This interactive exhibit allows visitors to learn more about deep sea research. It is hosted by Dr. Robert D. Ballard, the individual who discovered the Titanic.
    Right next to the aquarium is Mystic Village, full of small shops and restaurants. There are numerous types of shops in the village, including those for art and art supplies, crafts, music, clothing, and toys. There are even specialty stores, like those selling everything Irish or everything angels. If the village isn’t enough for you, across the street you will find outlet stores selling some of the most well-known brands of clothing and shoes.
    Downtown Mystic provides even more shopping and dining opportunities. The inventory found in the small stores downtown sell everything from today’s hottest clothing styles to sports equipment to books. If the shopping gets you hungry, stop for a bite at Mystic Pizza. Yes, it is the same Mystic Pizza represented in the movie by the same name. While you may not get a glimpse of Julia Roberts eating a slice of their famous pizza, you can get a slice for yourself.
    As you head toward Noank, one of the towns surrounding Mystic, you will find Abbott’s restaurant. This restaurant has outdoor seating where you can watch boats sail by, and see three different New England states from your table. Specializing in seafood, Abbott’s offers shrimp, lobster, and other seafood favorites.
    Next to Abbott’s, and in keeping with tradition, is Costello’s. Costello’s offers more of a variety of foods, especially for those who may not be seafood lovers.
    If you feel the need to break away from campus, and want to spend the day and/or night someplace that will keep you busy, Mystic, Connecticut is definitely one place to try. For more information, visit www.mystic.ct.us.