Women’s basketball remains winless after loss to St. Bonaventure

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball team is still in search of its first win after falling to St. Bonaventure 66-47 Sunday at the Reilly Center in Olean, N.Y.

Junior Felicia Barron led the Bobcats with 14 points, while also adding four assists and two steals. But St. Bonaventure (2-2) had three players score double-digit points. Chelsea Bowker and Jessica Jenkins each had a game-high of 16 points while CeCe Dixon scored 11. Bowker also grabbed nine rebounds in the game, falling just one short of recording a double-double.

The Bonnies got off to a quick start, leading 9-2 before a 5-0 run by the Bobcats narrowed the score to 9-7. But the Bonnies followed with a 13-0 run, nine of those points coming from Bowker, to take a commanding 22-7 lead that they would not relinquish.

The Bobcats pulled within six points on Courtney Kaminski’s free throw with 10:33 left in the game, but that was as close as they got as St. Bonaventure held the Bobcats to just 11 more points after that.

The Bonnies dominated from the charity stripe, making 24 of 27 free throws. They also shot 41.9 percent from the field compared to Quinnipiac’s 27.8 percent. Despite the mistakes, Quinnipiac head coach Tricia Fabbri saw some positives out of the game.

“I thought we played better as a team today,” Fabbri said. “I like the fact, going forward, that we competed and there was an effort on both sides of the court. In this young season, we made a major jump in this third game, against a quality opponent.”

The Bobcats return to action over the holiday weekend, when they compete in the Vanderbilt Tournament. The first game is scheduled for Friday at 5:00 p.m. against Vanderbilt at the Memorial Gym in Nashville, Tenn.