Women’s basketball falls to Fairfield in season opener

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball team opened up its 2010-11 season Friday night in Fairfield, falling to the Stags 65-48.

After a fast start for the Bobcats, Fairfield responded with an 8-0 run to take a 14-9 lead early in the first half. The Stags never trailed again, as they went up by as many as 14 in that first half. Fairfield forward Joelle Nowrocki led the way with 15 points, connecting on six of her nine shots from the field.

The Bobcats had a rough night all around as they shot a mere 34 percent from the field and were outrebounded 44-34. A bright spot came from freshman forward Brittany McQuain who debuted very nicely for her new team. She led the squad with nine points and seven rebounds.

The Bobcats made one significant run on a night that Fairfield was pretty much in control throughout. A 6-0 run by the Bobcats early in the second half cut the deficit to eight, as the Stags led 37-29. But the key difference on the night was making outside shots, and Fairfield was very proficient in doing just that. They connected on eight of 15 shots from behind the arc compared to Quinnipiac making just two of eight.

Quinnipiac will attempt to learn from its mistakes, looking ahead to its home opener Wednesday night when it hosts Holy Cross. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at the TD Bank Sports Center.