Women’s hockey splits over weekend

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team fell at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2-0, Saturday afternoon as they failed to extend their win streak to three games.

RPI senior netminder Sonja van der Bliek turned back each of the Bobcats’ (7-4-1, 2-3) 25 shots on the afternoon as she posted her first shutout of the season. The Engineers (3-6-2, 2-2) defeated Quinnipiac last season in the ECAC quarterfinals with a victory in five overtimes after the clincher.

RPI sophomore right winger Clare Padmore broke the scoreless tie with a goal at the 16:15 mark of the second period. Junior Kristen Jakubowski earned the primary assist on the goal as her shot in the mid-slot left a big rebound and an empty net for Padmore to cash in. Senior forward Sydney O’Keefe earned the other assist on the score.

The Engineers added an insurance, empty-net goal with 22 seconds left in the game. Junior forward Alisa Harrison scored her second goal of the season as the Bobcats’ hopes for a late game-tying goal were dashed.

Quinnipiac sophomore goalie Victoria Vigilanti was strong in net, only surrendering one goal and making 24 saves on the afternoon. An outstanding blocker save with just less than six minutes to go in the third after a massive scramble in front of the net kept the Bobcats within one.

The Bobcats ensured a split this weekend on the road as they defeated Union College Friday night 3-2. Led by two more points from standout freshman forward Kelly Babstock and 18 saves from Vigilanti, the Bobcats earned their second conference win of the season.

The Bobcats return to Hamden this weekend as they will host Harvard on Friday night and Dartmouth on Saturday afternoon. Both ECAC games will be played at the TD Bank Sports Center.