Babstock fuels women’s ice hockey’s weekend sweep of Niagara

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team skated to a 3-1 victory on Friday over Niagara. The win gave them the sweep of the series and put them at 2-0-0 to start the year.

Freshman forward Kelly Babstock contributed on all three goals, scoring one and assisting on the other two giving her three points in the game. She now has two goals and three assists early in the season.

Babstock’s first assist came at 8:33 in the first period when junior defender Bethany Dymarczyk’s scored her first goal of the season. Freshman forward Erica Uden Johansson also assisted on the play which gave the Bobcats the early lead.

In the second period, Quinnipiac capitalized on an early misconduct penalty against Niagara. Sophomore defender Regan Boulton scored 13 seconds into the power play to give Quinnipiac a two goal lead. Uden Johansson and Babstock both received their second assists of the afternoon on the play.

The only Niagara goal came in the first period when sophomore forward Natasha Fryer netted her first goal of the season at the 16:56 mark. Junior defender Sarah Zacharias and senior forward Autumn Stuntz assisted on the play.

The Bobcats had tremendous power-play defense this weekend as they killed off all three power plays in Friday’s game and all nine for the weekend.

Sophomore goaltender Victoria Vigilanti blocked 24 shots, while the Niagara tender saved 20.

Quinnipiac returns to action on Saturday at 3 p.m. against Northeast University at the TD Bank Sports Center. Sunday, Oct. 10 at 5 p.m., Quinnipiac hosts Sacred Heart University.