Quinnipiac’s first field hockey coach Becca Main announces retirement after 28 seasons

Quinnipiac Athletics

Quinnipiac field hockey head coach Becca Main retires after 214 total wins with the Bobcats, good for 47th all time in NCAA Division I history.

Ethan Hurwitz, Sports Editor

On Friday, Becca Main, the only head coach in Quinnipiac field hockey program history, announced her retirement after 28 seasons in Hamden.

“I am filled with gratitude and excitement as I announce my retirement from Quinnipiac University,” Main said in a Feb. 24 press release. “There has not been a day in three decades that I didn’t enjoy driving onto the Quinnipiac campus – thrilled at the prospect of teaching and learning in a higher education environment with brilliant athletes and coaches.”

Main’s coaching career began in 1995, when the Bobcats were the Braves and the field hockey program was created. Since then, she has taken the team to new heights, including a 2016 invitation to the Big East, a new state-of-the-art stadium and 214 total victories.

“I have been challenged and elevated by my players, assistant coaches, and opposing coaches,” Main said. “Quinnipiac is a magical community where I was able to cultivate a coaching career that afforded me the opportunity to work beside colleagues of such determination and passion.”

This past season, the Bobcats recorded their most wins since 2015, going 8-11.

Main’s resume includes four conference Coach of the Year awards (1997, 1998, 2004, 2015) and three trips to the NCAA Tournament in 2001, 2003 and 2013. Before leaving the MAAC for the Big East, Main also led Quinnipiac to the 2013 MAAC title, the only conference championship in program history.

When she was hired in 1995, Main was also brought along to be the head coach of the women’s lacrosse team, a role she held for eight seasons, including a 10-win season in 2002.

“Congratulations to Becca on an incredible career leading the Quinnipiac field hockey program,” Quinnipiac Director of Athletics Greg Amodio said in the Feb. 24 press release. “She embodies all of the qualities you could hope for in a leader and it has been a privilege to work directly with her over the past eight years. “

During her playing career, Main was just as fierce on the field as she was off. She was the 1993 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year during her time at Penn State and was named to the U.S. National Team that won a bronze medal in the 1994 World Cup. After her playing career, she picked up coaching and was later inducted into the Connecticut Field Hockey Coaches Association in 2005.

Main is part of a select group of Quinnipiac head coaches that have been with the university since the 1990s, including Rand Pecknold (men’s hockey), Tricia Fabbri (women’s basketball), Dave Clarke (women’s soccer) and Mary Ann Powers (acrobatics and tumbling).

“Becca Main has a commitment to excellence that I cherish,” Pecknold said in the Feb. 24 press release. “She is a wonderful person and has done so much for the growth of Quinnipiac University.”

During her tenure, the Bobcats had 94 student-athletes named to the all-conference teams, as well as 27 NFHCA Mideast All-Region selections. Main ends her career 47th out of all NCAA Division I field hockey coaches in career wins.

“This field hockey program is in a great place with eighteen of the most wonderful athletes spearheading the next decade,” Main said. “They are poised to do some huge things and I know they will be the best advocates for the program as they enter a phase with a new coaching staff.”

Quinnipiac Athletics announced that a national search for Main’s replacement will begin shortly.