St. Lawrence takes Game 2 from Bobcats, forces elimination game Sunday

Both St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac face elimination heading into tomorrow’s Game 3.

Ethan Hurwitz, Sports Editor

HAMDEN, Conn – Despite a season-high 32 saves by graduate student goaltender Logan Angers, the No. 8 Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team were unable to eliminate the visiting St. Lawrence Saints, losing 3-2 Saturday afternoon. The best-of-three series will now come down to a third game for a spot in the ECAC Hockey semifinals. 

The Bobcats’ sluggish start on Friday did not carry over into Game 2. Just 40 seconds in, after St. Lawrence junior defender Melissa Jeffries got called for a slashing penalty, Quinnipiac graduate student center Lexie Adzija snuck the puck into the net for the early 1-0 lead.

“You could see it in her eyes today,” Turner said. “It was impressive to see … I have a lot of confidence (that) she can do that tomorrow.”

Later in the first, junior winger Olivia Mobley had a brief trip to the bench after being hit into the boards. Mobley instantly grabbed her neck/shoulder area, but would return later in the period. 

She then took a tumble out in front of the Saints’ net later and grabbed her left hand. 

Despite the early goal for Quinnipiac, both sides struggled to connect on any offensive chances and headed into the first intermission with the Bobcats up by one.

The second period began like the first had, just in the other direction. Sophomore winger Taylor Lum fired a shot past Angers to even the game up at one 53 seconds into the frame.

A few minutes later, the Saints almost had another when junior center Rachel Bjorgan got lost in transition. The game only stayed tied thanks to an outrageous right pad save by Angers. 

“I thought Logan made key saves and did a nice job clearing pucks away,” Turner said.

Both sides traded chances, but the period was vastly dominated by the Saints. Consistent offense, plus a good backcheck, allowed the visitors to fire shots consistently at Angers, which ballooned the shots total to 35-24 in favor of St. Lawrence.

Saints junior winger Aly McLeod was issued a holding minor with just under five minutes to go in the period and despite a good shot by Mobley, the Bobcats went scoreless on their second man-advantage of the afternoon.

To start the third period, another St. Lawrence penalty – this time, tripping on senior winger Shailynn Snow – the Bobcats began to swing the momentum in their favor. Although previous breakout attempts fell short, they were able to finally pierce through the Saints’ blue line defense for some better chances.

With just over 10 minutes to play in regulation, Angers came up big once again. A spinning shot from sophomore winger Abby Hustler was thwarted at the goal mouth by the graduate student.

Mobley was then issued a costly hooking penalty, as on the ensuing power play, St. Lawrence junior center Julia Gosling fired a rocket from the right circle to give the Saints their first lead of the day. Gosling’s goal, which was her second in as many games, was the turning point that they needed in the series.

Desperate for offense, Turner pulled Angers and right after, McLeod fired a shot from center ice to essentially wrap the game up. 

However, once Angers left her net again, the Bobcats were able to create some offense. Adzija found the loose puck out in front of the net and poked the puck in with 40 ticks left. Energy was back in the building, but a rare turnover from graduate student defender Courtney Vorster as the clock hit zero sent the Saints bench into a frenzy.

Despite the single mistake, her head coach backed Vorster postgame.

“‘Court’ was phenomenal,” Turner said. “She’s such a smart player … She’s playing awesome hockey.”

Off the rink, Quinnipiac ice hockey (and lacrosse) alum Kelly Babstock was in attendance. The current Metropolitain Riveters forward was the first Bobcat to reach 100 career points back in 2012 and is widely considered the greatest player in the program’s history.

“It’s great to hear that ‘Babs’ was here,” Turner said. “She was a huge and integral part of helping our program into becoming a national contender.”

The Bobcats will now have a quick turnaround as the quarterfinals will now head to the decisive third game. Puck drop is set for 3 p.m. and both teams will look to advance to the ECAC Hockey semifinals against either Clarkson, Princeton, Cornell or Colgate.