Quinnipiac falls apart during second half, splits season series with Canisius

Cameron Levasseur

Graduate student forward Ike Nweke scored 10 points Sunday, his 15th game of the season reaching double-digits.

Michael Petitto, Staff Writer

Quinnipiac lost its third consecutive game in a disappointing 85-65 matchup against Canisius Sunday afternoon, adding to what has been a tumultuous couple weeks for the team.

The Bobcats started out strong, which is  a recurring theme. However, they were unable to hold on late in the game and a bad second half topped off a disappointing week.

The first half was a start the Bobcats needed. They were able to dish the ball out with ease and used the floor to space out their offense.

The second half gave more insight on where it went wrong for the Bobcats.

At the half, Quinnipiac and Canisius were tied at 37. However, during the second half Quinnipiac scored just 28 points while allowing 48, turning a tight game into a blowout loss.

Despite the loss, senior guard Matt Balanc had an efficient outing, posting 14 points, three rebounds and two assists. The Maryland native had a big three during the first half to to score Quinnipiac’s first basket of the night. However, Balanc, along with two others, got into foul trouble, which pushed the limits of the Bobcats’ depth.

Junior guard Luis Kortright provided even more efficiency on the floor, finishing with team-leading six rebounds and four assists being the most out of anyone on the team.

Even with the loss, grit and determination weren’t absent from the Bobcats. Just before the half, graduate student forward Ike Nweke snagged an offensive rebound and found his way to the basket through contact, getting an opportunity to go to the line.

The Golden Griffins’ duo of graduate student guard Jordan Henderson and sophomore forward TJ Gadsden was just too much for Quinnipiac to handle. The two combined for an astonishing 51 points with both players shooting over 60% from the field.

Gadsden was a menace, continuing his tear against the Bobcats. His 31 points, which set a new career-high, showcased his ability to score from all over the court. Throughout his collegiate career, Gadsden is averaging 26.5 points per game against Quinnipiac. Against any other team and he averages just 3.7 points per game.

Quinnipiac struggled the most from behind the arc. The Bobcats shot just 35% from three while allowing Canisius to score on over 52% of their three-point attempts.

The third-straight loss for Quinnipiac is the second time it has dropped three games in a row this season. Now, they fall to the MAAC’s fifth seed after a beginning that had first-round bye hopes.

The Bobcats will attempt to get back in the win column against face Siena on the road this Friday. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m.