Shake Smart cafe shakes up the status quo of healthy eating

Jack Muscatello

The shakes at Shake Smart start at $5.75 and can be paid through meal plan.

David Matos, Arts & Life Editor

I never thought I’d make drinking smoothies part of my daily ritual in the heart of winter, but Quinnipiac University’s Shake Smart cafe has pushed me to change my attitude.

Quinnipiac launched its new shake shop on the Mount Carmel campus as part of the newly-designed Recreation and Wellness Center. To be frank, the newly constructed RecWell center overshadowed the addition of Shake Smart, but the cafe has become the secret underdog of the new expansion.

From homemade Jamba Juice to Juice Generation, I’ve had my fair share of shakes and smoothies. The shakes made at Shake Smart, however, are by far the yummiest and most addictive. The menu offers a variety of shake and smoothie options that cater to an array of demands.

Each shake includes one of four protein powder options — chocolate, vanilla, plant-based and cookies and cream. Also, the cafe provides multiple milk-based choices, including low-fat, nonfat, almond and oat milk along with traditional fruits like strawberries and blueberries, to name a few, to add to your drink. Furthermore, the cafe serves coffee and tea. My personal favorite is the green tea matcha which is great for pre-workout at the RecWell center or just to quench your thirst.

The variety of ingredients is a nice addition to the cafe and I like how many of the menu options are customizable, allowing you to put together the perfect drink.

Though it’s nice to have the option to conjure up my creation, I usually like to opt for one of the ready-made recipes on the menu after my daily workout. Though I have yet to try everything, my favorite so far is the pink cadillac, which consists of dragon fruit, pineapple, orange juice and vanilla protein. Though the drink is made up of exclusively healthy ingredients, it tastes sweet and almost like I’m drinking cotton candy. When I’m not in a sweet mood, I usually go for the greens to go, which trades the dragon fruit for spinach and banana.

Having a place on campus that makes healthy eating accessible is satisfying, to say the least. In my first semester of college in the fall of 2019, I was coming off of just losing 100 pounds. I was in the healthiest shape I have ever been, but coming to college I found it difficult to maintain my weight due to the lack of healthy options on campus. Eating salads and quesadillas from the Bobcat Den every day was tiring, and it got to the point that I felt like I was starving myself. It’s nice to finally have a place on campus that promotes healthy eating, while still being appetizing to anyone simply looking for a tasty treat.

The downside, however, is the pricing of their shakes. With each shake ranging at around $7, I could easily see Shake Smart shaking up my meal plan. Also, though their blended and non-blended acai bowls are delectable, I have trouble with the fruit-to-acai ratio in their bowls. Each bowl feels overwhelmed with acai and not enough fruit. I’m also not a fan of their oatmeal, but I’m picky with oatmeal to begin with.

It’s nice to have a new spot on campus to do your work, hang out with friends and pick up a yummy treat. Also, I must add the student-curated soundtrack that blasts over the shake cafe while you’re waiting for your order is brilliant. Though I might be having a difficult day, it’s nice to have an impromptu jam session to Britney Spears’ “I’m a Slave 4 U” or Beyonce’s “Run the World (Girls)” to lift my spirits.