Quinnipiac men’s basketball issues statement after offensive tweet

The+Quinnipiac+mens+basketball+program+issued+an+apology+for+a+now-deleted+social+media+post.+

Casey Wiederhold

The Quinnipiac men’s basketball program issued an apology for a now-deleted social media post.

Ethan Hurwitz, Sports Editor

The Quinnipiac men’s basketball program issued an apology to social media Saturday night about an offensive image posted prior to its Feb. 3, matchup against Fairfield.

The now-deleted post featured junior guard Luis Kortright holding a chain prop around his neck, per a screenshot obtained by the Chronicle. The image was used in a graphic previewing Friday’s matchup between the Bobcats and Stags.

“Regrettably, we at QU Athletics shared an image on social media to promote a men’s basketball game that never should have been posted,” wrote Greg Amodio, director of athletics, in a statement posted to both Twitter and Instagram. “It is our intention in these promotional images to highlight the hard work and grit of our student athletes. However, we realize now that this image is offensive.”

“We are deeply sorry for our insensitivity,” Amodio wrote. “Through learning and reflection, we will do better.”

​​Some social media users took to Twitter to voice their displeasure with the post, while others were not aware of the tweet until after the apology was issued.

Nick Solari, associate athletic director of athletic communications, declined the Chronicle’s request to comment further on the statement.