Jared Smith enters transfer portal after championship season ends

Junior defender Jared Smith announces that he has entered the transfer portal.

Ethan Hurwitz, Sports Editor

On the heels of its first NCAA Tournament bid since 2013, the Quinnipiac men’s soccer team is going to look a bit different as the Bobcats try to defend their MAAC title

Junior defender Jared Smith entered the transfer portal following the 2022 season Saturday, as announced on Smith’s personal Instagram.

On the defensive side, Smith enters the portal after having a career season in Hamden. The Longmeadow, Massachusetts, native equaled his career high in goals (one) with a game-tying goal against Iona on Oct. 15, and recorded a personal-best six assists.

“One of the toughest decisions I have ever made. The past 3 years at Quinnipiac I met some really great people and made connections to last a lifetime. I can never express my gratitude for the opportunities that I was given. I have decided to enter the transfer portal to use my last 2 years of eligibility. Thank you,” Smith announced on Instagram.

Throughout his collegiate career, Smith played in 40 games, recording two goals and seven assists. This past season, he racked up a career-high 1,497 minutes played, second-most on the team.

The Bobcats, who will see significant roster turnover with two graduate students and (potentially) eight seniors leaving the squad, will now need to lean on younger players to fill the back line role of Smith.

UPDATE: On Jan. 5, Smith committed to Seton Hall for the 2023 season. The Pirates went 7-5-7 last year, including 4-1-5 in Big East play.

Smith is the second Bobcat to officially join a second team this past offseason, as freshman midfielder Alexander Stjernegaard committed to Marshall via social media Thursday.