Dear Counselor, October 19

Mary Pellitteri

Daniel Passapera

Dear Counselor’ is a column written by Mary Pellitteri, a member of Quinnipiac University’s Counseling Services, to address mental health and wellness issues that she deems prominent in the community. To submit questions to Dear Counselor, email

[email protected].

This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment, and does not constitute medical or other professional advice.

I’m worried about my friend because they seem depressed. What can I do?

First of all, and most importantly, you are on the right track; YOU NOTICED AND YOU CARE!

Aside from normal academic pressures, many college students have a great deal on their minds. Many have complex personal struggles. It’s a comfort to know that others care.  While I don’t want you to burden yourself, there are ways you can show support.  Let them know you are there for them, in a caring, non-judgmental way.  Check-in regularly, encourage them to see a therapist.  Ask them if you can help in any way.

Here are a few suggestions to get you started:

I’ve noticed …. Are you OK?

• Is there something I can do?

• Have you had thoughts of hurting


• Know that I care and am here

for you.

• It’s okay to cry

• Would you like to spend some

time hanging out?

• I’m sorry to hear that, it must be

difficult for you

• Can I help you schedule a

Counseling appointment?

• You can also complete a CARE

referral on MYQ. 

Remember that you are not an expert or professional.  It is important to take care of yourself.  If you feel overwhelmed worrying about your friend, you can always seek help from a counselor for yourself.

Hartford Healthcare Counseling Services are located on the 2nd floor of the Health and Wellness Building.  To contact Counselling Services, call 203-407-4020, email [email protected] or walk in for assistance.  To speak to a licensed Mental Health provider in the event of a mental health crisis, call 203-407-4020 and choose option #3.