Jump in the deep end

Morgan Tencza

Ashley Pelletier started the Generation Zedia podcast during her final semester with The Chronicle.

Ashley Pelletier, Former Arts & Life Editor

I remember the first article I ever wrote for The Chronicle, a review for season three of the Netflix show “13 Reasons Why” called “What was the reason for a third season?”

It was one of the first articles written by a first-year student that year. I wrote three or four more articles that semester before I had to take a work-study job at the Quinnipiac Poll and was told I couldn’t write anymore. I was miserable. I still went to meetings, where then-Arts & Life Editor Jessica Simms and then-Associate News Editor Stephen MacLeod tried to coax me into writing again. 

After the fall 2019 semester, I quit the poll and wrote every chance I could. Since then, I haven’t stopped. In my three years I’ve written for The Chronicle, I have written 76 times. Well, 77 now. I covered events, wrote reviews and even started the book of the week column. I worked my way up through Arts & Life, eventually becoming the section head for the 2021-22 school year. 

I won’t lie, it wasn’t always easy. There were weeks I’d have to write two or even three articles to fill up the section. There were also times where I thought about quitting because it all was just too much. I even got accused of defamation — twice — but I stuck it out. 

Some people in my position may have given up. I was even told multiple times that I might have been happier overall if I quit, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it because I loved the work. There was no greater satisfaction for me than seeing my name in print, than sharing the stories that I thought were important. 

Now that it’s over and done with, I don’t really remember all the stress of the job. Rather, I remember all the amazing opportunities I’ve had because of The Chronicle. I interviewed the performers for Fall Fest and Wake the Giant. I got to write for each section. I wrote stories that meant the world to me. 

I’m sure I will find myself writing for The Chronicle again during my graduate year, but there’s a finality about stepping down to make way for Neha Seenarine and David Matos, the new Arts & Life editors.

Regardless of the hard work and long hours I put myself through, I will always remember my time at The Chronicle fondly. I made my best friends through this organization. This journey has set the foundation for my journalism career more than any classroom has. How could I not be grateful for that? 

Whether you share my passion for storytelling or not, find something you love, and love it with your whole chest. Don’t wait for these opportunities to happen to you, make yourself happen. Be brilliant.