Dear Counselor, April 6

Mary Pellitteri

‘Dear Counselor’ is a column written by Mary Pellitteri, a member of Quinnipiac University’s Counseling Services, to answer questions students have regarding mental health and wellness. To submit questions to Dear Counselor, email [email protected]. All chosen questions will be anonymously published.

To schedule an appointment, call Counseling Services at 203-582-8689.If you need immediate assistance, call Counseling Services at 203-582-8680 and choose option three to speak with a licensed mental health professional available.

This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment, and does not constitute medical or other professional advice.

What can I do around campus to help manage my stress?

“I’m glad you asked! There are so many things to do, and sometimes a reminder is helpful!

– Let’s start with fitness, with options on all three campuses. Each campus has a fitness center, and we have about 75 classes per week from Zumba to yoga to Spinning. Sign up as early as 24 hours ahead of class time on www. imleagues.com

– The Wellness Wednesday table is on the Mount Carmel campus each Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. with a variety of topics and resources. Can’t make it in person? Look for Wellness Wednesday emails that are sent out each week to all students with a great deal of information and articles for students to use as resources.

– Campus Well has a plethora of information, on several different topics at https://quinnipiac.campuswell.com.

– Sometimes it’s important to take a break from what may be contributing to your stress. One way to do this is by getting involved. There are around 140 student organizations on campus, there’s something for everyone.

– Take the shuttle to one of the campuses you aren’t regularly on and explore!

– Get out and hike the Giant! Did you know that Sleeping Giant State Park has over 32 miles of hiking trails?

– Go to an athletic event, join an intramural team or attend a play.
– Read the daily announcements on MyQ, there’s always something to do! Feeling stressed is a normal part of life. What we do about it can make all

the difference. Taking a break to clear your mind, do something fun or laugh with friends can make all the difference in the world!

Of course, if you feel that your stress has become unmanageable, and you would like additional help with this, contact Counseling Services to schedule an appointment.”