Bobcats no-hit in blowout

Mount St. Mary’s pitcher Kent Worthington threw a no-hitter in an 18-0 rout against Quinnipiac on Sunday. Worthington battled through the cold and struck out nine batters to achieve one of baseball’s toughest accomplishments.

[quote]

“I just wanted to make sure I made all my pitches,” Worthington said. “I knew if I was able to do that I could have a good game, but I never even considered the fact of throwing a no-hitter today.”

Worthington got third baseman Joe Poletsky to ground out to second base for the final out of the game, sending the Mountaineers into jubilation as they mobbed Worthington on the infield.

Worthington had never thrown anywhere near a no-hitter or nine innings before, he said, so he was in unchartered territory during the game.

“I tried not to think about it that much but I knew I was starting to run out of gas and was starting to get slow to the plate,” Worthington said. “I knew I had to keep my pitches down if I wanted to make it through the rest of the game.”

Worthington received plenty of run support early, as Bobcat pitcher Todd DeFrancesco gave up 10 runs in 4 1-3 innings pitched, which included a five-run second inning.

DeFrancesco gave up a two-run home run to Kyle Kane in the first and a three-run home run to Zach Helman in the fifth. However, DeFrancesco was able to get through four innings, saving some arms in the Bobcat bullpen.

The Bobcats dropped three of four to the Mountaineers, and will host Yale on Wednesday at 3 p.m.

Photo credits: Andrew Vazzano