Bash that burnout

Addressing exhaustion from school is the best way to take care of yourself

Ashley Pelletier, Associate Arts and Life Editor

A normal academic semester is stressful enough, but when you don’t get the breaks that you need, it can hinder your mental and physical health.

Design by Michael Clement

Quinnipiac University is one of many colleges and universities that canceled spring break to prevent the spread of COVID-19. While the best interests of the community were taken into account, an extended period of stress from school can lead to burnout. 

According to the World Health Organization, burnout is an “occupational phenomenon” that is caused by chronic stress in the workplace. It can lead to physical, mental and emotional exhaustion. At this level of mental exhaustion, productivity is decreased and one is likely to be apathetic to their job or assignments. You can also have body aches, fatigue and difficulty concentrating. 

In a survey conducted by the University of Michigan in fall 2020, around 83% of students said that their mental health impacted their academics in a negative way at some point during their academic career. Burnout exacerbates these impacts, especially around midterms. 

Over the past few weeks, I experienced the worst case of burnout that I have ever dealt with. I could barely push myself to do school work. Little things such as someone coughing would make me so angry that I would shake. I needed to step away from my environment and take a break. So, I went home for a weekend.

My mother and grandparents are all vaccinated, so I felt that it was safe enough for me to go home, where COVID-19 cases are much lower than they are in Hamden. I spent the weekend hanging around the house, spending time with my family and most importantly, my dogs.

While going home is not a safe and viable option for everyone, there are other ways that you can treat burnout. The most important one is finding out why you are feeling the way that you are. Academic stress is a big reason many students get burnt out, but tough romantic, platonic or familial relationships can also cause you to experience it.

Once you determine what is causing you to feel this way, find different techniques to alleviate stress. If you can’t or don’t feel safe leaving campus to take a break, set up a weekend during which you prioritize self care. Order takeout you enjoy. Watch your favorite movie. Do something that eases your stress.

If you are in several extracurriculars, try and take a step back from the ones that are the most work. Don’t add more to your plate if you are struggling to handle your current situation.

When burnout is so severe that these suggestions do not help, reach out to someone you trust. They may help you find insight in the situation, or they could help you get help from a professional. Quinnipiac offers resources through the counseling center. If you want to start seeing a counselor at Quinnipiac, email counseling. [email protected] or call 203-582-8680 #1.