Quinnipiac student arrested, drug paraphernalia confiscated

Updated on March 15, 2021:

Hamden Police arrested and charged a Quinnipiac University student Thursday night on possession of drug paraphernalia and possession and intent to sell hallucinogenic drugs.

The student was taken into custody on March 11, and was released on a $2,500 bond. He is set to appear in court on June 3. 

The night of the arrest, two Hamden police officers were seen carrying drug paraphernalia out of the student’s Hill 60s residence hall. 

Hamden Police confiscated drug paraphernalia from the dorm. (Connor Lawless)

Two students on the scene, who requested to remain anonymous, said they know the arrested student and spoke highly of him.

“(The student) is my neighbor,” one of the students said. “He was one of the first friends that I made since I moved into my new room. He is only looking out for people. He has the best intentions. Although it may not seem like it at times, he’s always genuinely trying to help people with their problems and whatever they’re going through.” 

Another student who knows the arrested student called him kind and welcoming and said he “doesn’t deserve to get arrested.”

Sophomores Kaitlyn Diorio, an occupational therapy major, and Mackenzie Farrell, a health science major, were walking by the scene as the situation was unfolding.

“We were walking down towards the (Bobcat Den), and we saw the car that said ‘Hamden Police Prisoner Transport,’ the cop car and then public safety came over,” Diorio said.

After seeing a student crying, Diorio and Farrell became scared, particularly because of the recent assault between two roommates.

“That thing in Mountainview (residence hall) just happened just a couple days or weeks ago, and that was already scary especially because we know people that live right next door and then this happened,” Farrell said.

Farrell said Quinnipiac should “100%” communicate this incident to students.

This story is developing and will be updated accordingly.