Quinnipiac’s late rally not enough against Princeton

Matt Travia, Staff Writer

In the first home game of the new decade, the Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team (13-10-3, 5-7-2 ECAC Hockey) took on No. 6 Princeton (15-4-1, 10-3-1 ECAC Hockey) in an ECAC Hockey matchup.

Quinnipiac couldn’t quite complete the comeback as it lost to Princeton 3-2 Tuesday evening.

“Princeton is a really good hockey team,” Quinnipiac head coach Cass Turner said, “They were opportunistic today. They got their chances, and they took advantage.”

Morgan Tencza
Freshman forward Alexa Hoskin skates up the ice with the puck.

In the first period it was all Princeton, ending the period with 14 shots on goal and shutting down Quinnipiac who only had three shots in the period.

The scoring started when Princeton junior forward Annie MacDonald took a backhand shot that ended up in the back of the net. Junior forward Shannon Griffin assisted on the goal.

About three minutes after the first goal, sophomore forward Maggie Connors scored Princeton’s second goal of the game that earned sophomore forward Sarah Filler an assist.

With a delayed penalty on Quinnipiac, Princeton was able to capitalize with the extra player on the ice. Senior defenseman Claire Thompson scored the goal, and Connors got the assist — her second point of the game.

This gave Princeton a 3-0 lead over Quinnipiac at the end of the first period.

No scoring occurred in the second period. Quinnipiac did have one power play but wasn’t able to score.

In the third period, Quinnipiac started to show some life. The Bobcats got their first goal of the game when junior forward Taylor Girard scored on the power play.

Morgan Tencza
Junior forward Grace Markey dives to the ice in an effort to win possession.

Then late in the game, Quinnipiac pulled senior goaltender Abbie Ives with a little over two minutes left in the game. Freshman forward Sadie Peart was able to beat the buzzer and score with only 0.3 seconds left in the game, cutting Princeton’s lead to one.

“I think we can be more disciplined,” Turner said.

There were a combined 12 penalties throughout the whole game. Only Quinnipiac scored on one of its power play chances.

“I think what most impresses me about Abbie is how she has grown mentally,” Turner said. “She just believed in herself, she has great confidence and is ready to make that next play.”

Ives let up three goals in the first period on 13 shots but was lights out after, stopping the next 12 throughout the game.

Quinnipiac’s next game is game is at Brown on Jan. 31, at 6 p.m. for another ECAC Hockey matchup.