Behind-the-scenes hero

The Ed McMahon Center’s secretary recognized for years of service to Quinnipiac

Nicole McIsaac, Contributing Writer

You may not know her, but some aspect of your education has probably been made possible because of her work behind the scenes. Students and faculty said Susan Scoopo holds all of the pieces of the School of Communications together, and she is more than happy to do so.

Nicole McIsaac
Susan Scoopo’s warm smile has been greeting students entering the Ed McMahon Center for the past six years.

Scoopo, a Quinnipiac University alumni, has been the head secretary in the Ed McMahon Center for the past six years. On Thursday, Oct. 17, she was awarded the Excellence in Teaching and Service to Students Award.

“I was completely shocked,” Scoopo said. “I was in a fake meeting that I had prepared for and then suddenly, I see Dean (of the School of Communications Chris) Roush and President Judy Olian walk in. They completely surprised me with this award.”

The award recognizes several members of the university community who demonstrate superior teaching and service to all students. The honorees are selected through a nomination process by fellow faculty and chair members.

“She is one of the unsung heroes on this campus. (Administrative assistants) don’t get many pats on the back, that’s why it was so great that she won that award,” said William Schwanbeck, professor of journalism.

Over the years, Scoopo has contributed a tremendous amount of hardwork and dedication, extending far beyond her original job description. While most people will normally complain about the extra work, Scoopo said she will do it without any hesitation.

“The answer is never, ‘That is not my job,’” Scoopo said. “You name it, and I will do it.”

Scoopo detailed the extra responsibilities that she takes on, but the tasks are something she said she doesn’t mind. Those additional activities include priority enrollments with undergraduate and graduate students, overall manual enrollment, all of the new student orientations and many other activities not included in her job description.

“I just want to be able to make a difference with the students,” Scoopo said. “I just want to be able to help them get through their years here.”

Scoopo said the overall well-being of the Quinnipiac community is extremely important to her because she cares about the people in it. Scoopo mentioned that she takes great pride in all of the students, and the work they produce.

“I like seeing the students go off and do really good things,” Scoopo said.

Scoopo continues to influence the lives around her on campus everyday. Whether it’s fellow colleagues or students, Scoopo leaves a remarkable impression on those who encounter her.

“To have someone as sweet and caring as Susan greet you everyday when you walk into the School of Business is completely refreshing,” said Madison Stout, a sophomore political science major. “She goes above and beyond for everyone around her.”

Students said they always feel welcomed by Scoopo’s presence and willingness to help.

“I just started my journey at Quinnipiac.Every time I am walking to my film class, she greets me,” said Alyssa Baker, a freshman film major. “Just seeing her smile and wave at me everyday makes me feel welcomed to campus already.”

Scoopo also shares a personal connection to Quinnipiac University. Her mother, Nancy Carney, worked in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for 32 years.

Scoopo attended Quinnipiac for her four undergraduate years and met her husband, Don Scoopo, here. Her children are currently enrolled at the university. She said everything she knew and loved has come from being a Bobcat.

“When I started looking for jobs full time, I knew this was where I wanted to be,” Scoopo said.

The Quinnipiac community recognizes  Scoopo’s passion which is reflected in her work every day, and to Scoopo, this community feels like home.

“I wouldn’t want to work anywhere else,” Scoopo said. “I’m more than happy here.”