Quinnipiac draws with Dartmouth at home

Matt Travia, Staff Writer

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team (4-4-2 overall, 0-3-1 ECAC) tied conference rival Dartmouth (1-3-1 overall, 1-2-1 ECAC) 1-1 Friday night.

Quinnipiac is still without a conference win after four ECAC Hockey games.

“We need more consistency,” Quinnipiac head coach Cass Turner said. “We stick to our gameplay, and there are times it is clear we are not consistent, including in overtime.”

Quinnipiac started the first period strong with 14 shots on net. Senior goaltender Abbie Ives did not have much work to do as Dartmouth was limited to only four shots in the first.

Junior forward Laura Lundblad skates into the offensive zone.

At the 11-minute mark through the first period Quinnipiac would get its first power play of the day. Freshman forward Alexa Hoskin took advantage and scored off of her own rebound. Her goal was assisted by linemates sophomore defenseman Zoe Boyd and senior co-captain defenseman Kati Tabin.

In the second period, the shots were more even on both sides as Quinnipiac had eight shots to Dartmouth’s seven.

At the five-minute mark of the period, Dartmouth tied the game at one. The goal was scored by senior defenseman Bailee Brekke, her first of the season. She was assisted by freshman forward Celine Pietraszek.

“Dartmouth didn’t get discouraged when we put on some pressure offensively,” Turner said.

In the third, Quinnipiac out shot Dartmouth 10-3, and both teams had opportunities to take a lead.

Quinnipiac and Dartmouth each had a power play in the third, but neither could capitalize on their chances. Dartmouth couldn’t score on its four power plays, while Quinnipiac went 1-5 on the power play.

“We played aggressive on the penalty kill, and I think we stuck together and had that mentality of one goes we all go.” Turner said.

Quinnipiac had a power play late in the third that ended up carrying into overtime but couldn’t score.

“I was not happy with our overtime,” Turner said. “I think we took risks at the wrong time, and we need to grow and make the right plays for our team at the right moment.”

At the end of the game, Quinnipiac out shot Dartmouth 34-17.

“I think we just need to play better,” senior goaltender Abbie Ives said. “I think we’re a little emotional right now, and we’re a young team, but I think we need to take our emotions out of the game.”

Quinnipiac will host Harvard on Saturday, Nov. 8, at 3 p.m. in another ECAC Hockey matchup. Quinnipiac will look to get its first conference win of the season.