A night of milestones

Matt Travia, Staff Writer

It was a night of firsts.

There were first goals, first assists, first wins and first shutouts for this Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team.

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team (3-1-1 overall, 0-0-0 ECAC) hosted the Sacred Heart Pioneers (2-5-0 overall, 2-0-0 NEWHA) Friday evening.

Connor Lawless
Kenzie Hauswirth carries the puck in the offensive zone.

Quinnipiac dominated Sacred Heart the entire game and ended with a 6-0 win. It was Quinnipiac’s first home win this season.

“We spent a lot of time on our forecheck,” head coach Cass Turner said. “It’s been something over this entire month, and we want to feel confident about our forecheck from not just our first person pressuring the puck but all five players on the ice involved.”

Quinnipiac came out from the start of the game firing off 25 shots in the first period. No goals were scored by either team, in part due to Quinnipiac allowing just six shots by Sacred Heart in the first.

Fewer than three minutes into the second period, Quinnipiac got on the scoreboard first. Senior forward Allison Roethke picked up her first career goal, assisted by co-captain, senior defenseman Kati Tabin.

“I’m so happy,” Roethke said. “I worked really hard and my teammates really helped me out and I think it gave them a lot of energy throughout the rest of the game.”

Later in the second period, freshman forward Kenzie Hauswirth scored her first career goal that junior forwards Laura Lundbald and Brooke Bonsteel assisted.

With a little over two minutes left in the period, junior forward Renee Saltness sniped one into the back of the net for her first career goal. Junior forward Grace Markey assisted the goal to make it 3-0 Quinnipiac.

Connor Lawless
Junior forward Grace Markey handles the puck against Sacred Heart.

Just 39 seconds into the third period, Quinnipiac scored another goal. The goal was scored by Hauswirth, her second goal of the game and career.

Quinnipiac gave up a short-handed breakaway to Sacred Heart on which it scored, but the play went under further review due to possible goalie interference. After referees reviewed the play the call on the ice was reversed, keeping the shutout alive for sophomore goaltender Logan Angers.

Later on that same power play for Quinnipiac, senior forward Sarah-Eve Coutu-Godbout scored a power play goal which put the Bobcats up 5-0. The goal was assisted by Bonsteel and junior forward Taylor Girard who picked up her first career point for Quinnipiac.

With six minutes left in the game, freshman defenseman Kate Reilly scored her first career goal on the third power play of the game for the Bobcats. Co-captain, senior defenseman Kenzie Prater and Girard assisted Reilly on her goal.

“What’s so special about this group is our depth,” Turner said. “We have a really strong group of girls.”

Quinnipiac finished the game strong outshooting Sacred Heart 47-16 letting up no more than seven shots a period. Angers picked up her first career win as well as her first career shutout in her debut game for Quinnipiac.

“She was ready to play,” Turner said. “She’s been working really hard in practice and she’s a strong goaltender and we wanted the opportunity for her.”

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team takes on Sacred Heart again tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 26, at the People’s United Center at 3 p.m. in an attempt to complete the weekend sweep.