Parental guidance

Parental+guidance

Parents and Family weekend begins in just a few days on Oct. 12. During this weekend, families are welcomed to attend sports games with their student and other events during the weekend run by Quinnipiac. However, even with the variety of different activities on the QU campus, there is a lot to do around the Hamden area for you and your family. Here are just a few ideas to ensure that you have a great time during this year’s Parents and Family weekend.

[media-credit name=”Bosc d’Anjou/flickr creative commons” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Yale University Art Gallery

For something to do that will not require a lot of money, the Yale University Art Gallery is the place to go. It does not charge for admission and is open on weekends from 11 a.m to 5 p.m, so you can go at any time of the day with your family. With around 12 different collections of art, including drawings, photography and ancient art, there is something there that will intrigue everyone in your family. Because the art gallery is in the heart of New Haven, there are a lot of nice restaurants and shops nearby, so when you are finished, you can go and grab a bite to eat or check out other places around the city.

[media-credit id=2206 align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit] 

Wentworth Homemade Ice Cream

After a nice meal out with your family, dessert is almost necessary to have. To stay local and only a few minutes away from the QU campus, Wentworth’s is the perfect place to go. With a wide variety of different ice cream flavors, everyone in the family will find their favorite. If the weather is nice, there are benches and a beautiful gazebo there for you to sit and eat your ice cream.

[media-credit name=”Photo Courtesy of Julia Morse” align=”alignright” width=”169″][/media-credit]It Adventure Ropes Course

In New Haven, there is the largest indoor ropes course in the world. If your family feels like doing something that is more physical, It Adventure Ropes Course might just be the place you are looking for. There are over 100 activities, including plank-walking, cargo nets and bridges. There are also long zip lines too, so there is a lot to choose from when it comes to activities in the indoor ropes course. On top of the physical activities, there is colored lighting and music to make the experience more fun.

[media-credit id=2143 align=”alignleft” width=”169″][/media-credit] 

Lyman Orchards

For a fun outdoor adventure, apple picking is always a good choice, especially during autumn. Lyman Orchards in Middlefield is only a 20 minute ride away from QU and is a good choice if you want to pick apples and pumpkins. On top of picking, there is the Apple Barrel, where they sell cider donuts, apple cider and other food items that are typically viewed as autumn food. They even sell their award winning pies, too. On top of all the food, Lyman Orchards’ Apple Barrel has a corn maze and pony rides, so there is something for everyone to do.

[media-credit name=”john/flickr creative commons” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit] 

The Shops at Yale

If you are looking to do some shopping while with family, go into New Haven and visit the The Shops at Yale. There are more than 80 different boutiques and storefronts that make up The Shops at Yale. Stores such as Patagonia, L.L. Bean, Apple and Urban Outfitters are some that will have something for everyone. After shopping, visit one of the award winning restaurants New Haven has to offer. There is a lot to do at The Shops at Yale, so everyone is guaranteed to have a nice time.