Get ready to fall

Fall foliage

While all of these ideas are about activities associated with fall, one thing you can’t overlook is the ambiance of the season itself. The colors of the leaves this year will be the most vibrant in our lifetime, according to an article by CBS New York. Take advantage of the scenery by embarking on a road trip down Route 169 which offers the best view of the countryside with colorful rows of trees and hills. The drive is about 30 miles and passes through the Mashamoquet Brook State Park.

[media-credit name=”Graphic by Janna Marnell” align=”alignright” width=”500″][/media-credit]Psychic readings

There’s magic in the air, and also in Hamden. Hamden has its very own psychic hub. A local psychic, Allison Moro, offers psychic readings in her office in Hamden in addition to many other services. Tarot readings, mediumship and development classes focused on intuition. If you want to practice your own take at psychic practices, Curious Goods New Age Shop sells many psychic necessities and they host tarot workshops as well as magic workshops.

See a scary movie

Cinemark 550 Universal Dr., North Haven

Watching a scary movie in theaters can be some of the most adrenaline-packed activities that Halloween has to offer. Luckily this season there’s a huge lineup of anticipated horror premiers. Movies like “Suspiria,” “Halloween” and “Look Away,” are due to hit theaters. These movies have the promise to be creepier, scarier and much more intense than our old Halloween favorites. Plus, you can lay in the super comfy chairs and eats loads of popcorn while the jump scares attack.

Freeform’s 31 nights of Halloween

Of course, you don’t always have to leave your dorm for a fall experience. New this year from Freeform is the 31 Nights of Halloween. It is an expansion of previous years when they simply had 13 nights. Highlights of the daily marathons will feature “ParaNorman,” “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Monsters Inc.” and “Monsters University,” “The Addams Family” and “Monster House,” all leading up to Halloween itself where the channel will loop the classic “Hocus Pocus.”

Gouveia Vineyard

1339 Whirlwind Hill Rd., Wallingford

This vineyard offers much more than an extensive selection of wine. Gouveia Vineyard gives guests guided tours of their scenic vineyard located on a hill. Guests can pack picnics and enjoy the views while sitting in front of a large fire pit. The vineyard serves a variety of food as well as drinks to eat while watching the sunset.

Lyman Orchards

32 Reeds Gap Rd., Middlefield

Start October on the right foot by visiting Lyman Orchards. Guests here can pick apples or go to the market to enjoy apple cider donuts and pies. Visitors can also pick out their own pumpkins they can later carve into a jack-o-lantern. Oh yeah, and who can forget the mini photoshoot you can have along the way.

Fall festivals

835 Dunbar Hill Rd., Hamden

In the Hamden area alone, there are several fall festivals taking place this month. On Sunday Oct. 14 at 11 a.m. is the Hindinger Farm Fall Festival. The festival is free and is going to include an array of activities such as music, games, a photo booth and an apple pie baking contest. In addition, some of the food offerings include Whitney Donut’s Cider Donuts and Kelly’s Cone Connection Apple Butter and Pumpkin ice cream.

Nightmare on Wolcott St.

1058 Wolcott St., Waterbury

If you’re looking for a good scare, this haunted house will leave you terrified. With “over 55 rooms of terror,” you’re sure to get your money’s worth with run-ins with clowns, goblins, witches and killers wielding chainsaws. This attraction is located indoors so you won’t need to worry about the weather.

Corn maze

536 New England Rd., Guilford

Another way to celebrate the new season (and to test your friendship) is getting lost in a corn maze. With the creative designs that farms come up with when creating each labyrinth, you can’t get bored with this adventure. The maze at Bishop’s Orchards is open until Oct. 28. This orchard also offers pumpkin and apple picking.