QFS members walk on ‘Sun’shine

While most students were getting ready for their second day of classes last Wednesday, student members of the Quinnipiac Film Society were on a flight to Park City, Utah to attend the Sundance Film Festival. For these students aspiring to have jobs in the film-industry, it was the trip of a lifetime.

On their flight that left out of John F. Kennedy International Airport, the students had their first and not last encounter with a well-known face. To their surprise, actor/rapper L.L Cool J was on their flight.

“He was on his way to Park City and he happened to be on our flight. We got him on camera giving a QFS shout out,” junior media production major Cody Hoerig said.

“On camera” refers to the filming the QFS students did throughout the trip. “We documented everything, and in the coming weeks QFS members will be compiling all the pictures and videos for a Sundance documentary,” Hoerig said.

Hoerig, who is also president of the Quinnipiac Film Society, described the trip in two words, “life-changing.”

Part-time drama professor Keely Baisden accompanied the group of 15 students who stayed at a QFS member’s home in Utah. Throughout the week they attended screenings, meet and greets and even a world-wide premiere.

“A couple of us saw Mischa Barton’s new movie ‘Assassination of a High School President’ the night we arrived in Utah. When we arrived at the theater we found out that it was the world premiere and the director, writers and most of the main characters (including Mischa) were there for a Q and A session after the movie!” junior media production major Christina Cimino said.

While Cimino enjoyed the film, Hoerig said his favorite film they saw was “The Wackness.”

“The Wackness” also played a major role in Hoerig’s favorite part of the excursion.

“I had a real meaningful conversation with Jonathan Levine, writer and director of ‘The Wackness,’ winner of the viewer’s choice award,” said Hoerig of his favorite part of the trip.

Hoerig also got Levine’s contact information and it became clear that this trip was not only for entertainment but also networking and learning experiences.

One day, students got a break from the Hollywood hustle and bustle and even got to snowboard, another exciting part of the trip according to Cimino.

“The whole experience was all that I had hoped it would be and more. From the minute we arrived, I didn’t want it to end,” Cimino said.

Hoerig agreed.

“I felt like I knew what it was going to be like, it was more than that. Just being there to experience everything was just so incredibly amazing,” he said.

The students returned to campus in the early morning hours of Jan. 28 with an invaluable experience, a camera full of memories and tired faces.

The QFS members plan to return to Park City next winter for another unforgettable experience.